What type of Equipment do you like

As far as the wort chiller goes, we use ice in our laundry tub and place the boil kettle on a cookie cooling rack. This allows the ice water to come into contact with the bottom and the sides of the kettle. I slosh the ice and water around and underneath for about 12-15 minutes and I can go from boiling to 65 degrees (f) in that time frame. The trade off is the cost of ice vs. the wort chiller (copper coil). over time, the cost of ice will exceed the wort chiller. But its a great place to start and then you can add the wort chiller once you have a few more coins to spare.

$59 for the kettle but $27 for the valve? just saying, I guess its ok

you need a 1" nipple the valve and a hose barb fitting and Teflon tape

Thanks for the help! I think thats a good start for now, will definitely be back with more questions in the future.

Do you think I would want to get/make a false bottom for it as well, I still dont fully understand what the false bottom does, is it used to stop the grains from clogging the valve as you drain?

Well we will start off with a fake sparge and one pot, eventually I will get there. Thanks for all the help, I am really impressed with the community on here and how quick you all are to help a beginner with all there stupid questions.

Dude I've been brewing for slightly over a year, I'm very much still a beginner.

I don't think the equipment matters as much as some. My favorite pieces of gear are my refractometer and my pH meter. Followed by my stock of Campden tablets.

I like what nosybear says above .. what do you use most any rely on heavily. I prefer not to comment on kettle or fermenter or burner. Some folks want a Cadillac and some want a Kia, some like buckets and some use glass. Up to you.

I rely on my refractometer (while mashing and pre yeast) and my hydrometer post yeast (buy 2 at a time), I rely on my autosiphon and silicone hi temp tubing. I rely on my hand crank Victoria mill. I rely on my stirplate. I rely on Brewers Friend for recipe storage and water calls. I rely on my Wilserbrewer bag.

I really like my Victoria mill, I've kitted it out so I can put a drill on it and I can do a 10 gallon batch grain bill in less time than it takes me to measure it out.

Back