What type of Equipment do you like

The Beer Snob

Trial Member
Reaction score
Im fairly new to home brewing and I am looking to getting more into it, however I don't have a ton of equipment yet and was wondering what equipment you all use that you think is a must have. Sadly I do have a budget as I would love to get a nice conical fermenter and some of the other fancy toys but I think thats still a little ways down the road....

Brew kettle and burner are my big two.

I'm thinking of necessities I use

1/2" auto siphon
3 - 6.5 gallon buckets with lids
stainless grain paddle
ample supply of star-sans, pbw
quick connects for your hose and
high powered sprayer
pump
1/2" silicone hose
cam-lock connectors
1/2" npt ball valves

If you're happy with the size of your batches and can use the kitchen stove, I say look into a wort chiller. That'll cut down some time on your brew day

Assuming you bottle, a vinator bottle washer is pretty handy

You can make an immersion chiller fairly cheaply with copper refrigeration tubing.

My 2c would be get a kettle double the size of the batch you want to make.
Ozarks posted a beaut one the other day on here!

What equipment do you have? I brewed for a long time with a brewers best kit. The deluxe kit here has more than what I started with. As you progress, you’ll figure out what equipment you desire.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/equipment.html
I have mostly just done the mash and boil with a large kitchen pot, and would definitely want to replace that. The brewers best ones look pretty good I will take a look at those. What is your opinion on fermenting. I have just a regular plastic bucket but have read that some people think it adds off flavors, should I try get a glass carboy for now?

My 2c would be get a kettle double the size of the batch you want to make.
Ozarks posted a beaut one the other day on here!
Do you have the link to That? Otherwise I will definitely go looking for it when I can.

Do you have the link to That? Otherwise I will definitely go looking for it when I can.
@Ozarks Mountain Brew you still have a link to that 10 gal pot with threaded bung...

Ozarks will know where it's at. I'm sure it was in Christmas wish thread:rolleyes:.

I ferment in a plastic bucket any off flavours are my fault not the buckets :).

If your handy you can build up a nice kit, 55L keg with top cut off makes for nice kettles, like jeffpn said, can make an immersion chiller with soft copper tube, a mash Tun in an old or new 40L cooler with a copper tube strainer, fermentation chest with temp control. I have built up all this stuff as well as building a kick-ass propane jet burner that boils 40L of water in about 20-25 min.there are always glass carboys out there on Craigslist, buy and sell or whatever it is you may have in your area.....even full brewing setups and bits.
Oh ya..........................YouTube is a wonderful thing!
(I can post some pictures if you want)

Have you looked to see if there's a Home Brewers club or group in your area?
That would be the 1st thing I'd suggest.
If there's a group, visit or join. I'm sure someone in the group if not many, would be willing to have you over when they're brewing.
From there, you can start to see how others are doing it and what equipment you may want or need.
You may choose to stay with extract and steeping grains or you may choose to move to a version of all grain. They require some different equipment.
If there's not a local club, then start by reading How To Brew by John Palmer and slowly figure out what brewing method you want to go with and fill in the equipment as needed.
Or come to beautiful Mentor, Ohio and I'll give you all the personal help you could ever want! ;)
Cheers,
Brian

Have you looked to see if there's a Home Brewers club or group in your area?
That would be the 1st thing I'd suggest.
If there's a group, visit or join. I'm sure someone in the group if not many, would be willing to have you over when they're brewing.
From there, you can start to see how others are doing it and what equipment you may want or need.
You may choose to stay with extract and steeping grains or you may choose to move to a version of all grain. They require some different equipment.
If there's not a local club, then start by reading How To Brew by John Palmer and slowly figure out what brewing method you want to go with and fill in the equipment as needed.
Or come to beautiful Mentor, Ohio and I'll give you all the personal help you could ever want! ;)
Cheers,
Brian
That is a good idea I will definitely look into that. I think Ohio is a little far away for me to come out but thanks for the offer!

you will need either a plug or ball valve but theirs is a bit high, I can get one somewhere else for less

Back