Brew Session Water Calculation

Brewer #7761

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to input information for a full boil extract recipe but am getting confused by the water calculation tab in the Brew Session. Even with a 5 gallon batch size and a 5.62 gallon boil size, it is calling for 1.24 gallons to top off the fermentor for a total volume of 6.35 gallons. Any ideas?

Recipe:
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Boil Size: 5.62 Gallons (seems to default to 3 gal)

Brew Session Water Calculation:
Target batch size: 5
Grain absorption losses (steep/mash) -.01
Boil water added to kettle: 4.98
Volume increase from sugar/extract (early additions) 0.64
Starting Boil Volume: 5.62
Boil off losses: 1.5
Hops absorption losses: -0.1
Misc. losses: -.02
Top off amount: 1.24
Total: 6.35

Increase, the boil size by the topoff amount. That will then account for the boil off loss.

The total is how much water is neeed, counting all losses, mostly from the boil off. The values can be adjusted under your equipment profile.

Something isn't adding up though. Make sure to save the recipe each time you change it, or the water report will be using stale data.

I'm having a similar issue with 1gal batches. Below is from the water requirements (shown in gallons) tab from my last brew session. It indicates 1.13g boil off loss. I'm pretty darn sure that's wrong :) . I top off with about 2 cups. Not a big deal for me but definitely a bug (or I'm setting up sessions wrong).

Target batch size 1
Grain absorption losses (steep / mash) -0.03
Boil water added to kettle 1.12
Volume increase from sugar/extract (early additions) 0.13
Starting boil volume 1.25
Volume increase from sugar/extract (late additions) 0.01
Boil off losses -1.13
Hops absorption losses -0.02
Misc. losses -0.25
Top off amount 1.13
Total: 2.29

That is based on an equipment setting. Adjust your equipment profile so the boil off is less and it will line up.

found it...my bad...that setting is in the section for all grain brewing. Perhaps that and maybe some of the other setting in there should move to a separate section?

nate_d said:
found it...my bad...that setting is in the section for all grain brewing. Perhaps that and maybe some of the other setting in there should move to a separate section?

Glad you found it, and sorry it was not in a more obvious spot. We'll work on improving that!

I didn't see an option for sparge process. My water calculations are usually for about equal amounts of water for mash and sparge as I batch sparge. Is there a way to adjust the water volumes to account for this?

In the recipe editor is the final step and you add how ever many mash steps or sparge amounts there

OSUBrewer said:
I didn't see an option for sparge process. My water calculations are usually for about equal amounts of water for mash and sparge as I batch sparge. Is there a way to adjust the water volumes to account for this?

What you can do is go the 'Brew' feature, then on the mash calculator tab there is a strike feature where you can strike by volume or by thickness. That is how I do it on brew day. On the recipe all I worry about is temps and times for each mash step.

We are working on a way to allow brewers to specify the mash thickness in mash section on the recipe editor, and from there have certain fields be auto computed based on the water requirements.

Back