Beer of the Month

I still think Yooper should be judge. Send a bottle from each brewer, Make a 20 minute video of all the beer being drank (judged). If still upright and coherent, Yooper declares a winner. :)

I'd pay £5 postage to the US just to watch the video...

Except you can’t legally mail alcohol (USPS). And there are a few hoops that UPS and FedEx make you jump through. When Yooper started this thread, I took it as a bit of whimsy. It surprised me to see how much attention she got from her post.

Except you can’t legally mail alcohol (USPS). And there are a few hoops that UPS and FedEx make you jump through. When Yooper started this thread, I took it as a bit of whimsy. It surprised me to see how much attention she got from her post.

Reading Royal Mail regulations...
With an alcohol content greater than 24% ABV including spirits such as gin, vodka and whisky.

Alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content no greater than 24% ABV including beer, lager, wine and champagne, are allowed.

When it arrives in the US... (Customs/US Post)
Chapter 22 Beverages, spirits and vinegar - Prohibited articles - potable beverages over 5% alcoholic content by weight.

If I'm reading this right, I can send beer in the post

I still think Yooper should be judge. Send a bottle from each brewer, Make a 20 minute video of all the beer being drank (judged). If still upright and coherent, Yooper declares a winner. :)

I'd pay £5 postage to the US just to watch the video...
And she has got to do it ll in one sitting lol.
Well maybe brewersfriend panel....

Actually, I think this works better the way it stands. You’re all beiing too competitive about this. The “winner” is the brewers friend community that is continually building the public recipes database. Then, that community can brew the beer separately, make changes, mistakes, and discuss. It’s actullay quite an ingenous idea, but perhaps needs to be reworded to elimite the Darwinian impulse.

Here is my Spring Saison - Spring Hopper. As the name suggests, it is a refreshingly hoppy Saison for Spring season - with a blend of Willamette, French Strisselspalt, and Halertau Blanc. Not necessarily bitter hoppy character, but a balance with hop flavor / aroma character. I am originally from the Kansas and love the Spring time when the rain comes and the wheat fields, grass lawns, and flowers start sprouting up. I wanted to capture that essence with earthy, grassy, floral, fruity, citrus notes. I love the smell of freshly cut grass as the sun shines through the morning dew drops. I am planning to alter the hops by replacing Willamette with Medusa and give it a little U.S. native earth character

Seeing this post I immediately thought of my Saison from last Spring. When this went on tap it put the Helles that I had in a holding pattern as everybody wanted the Saison. It might have been a little counter productive as the Saison was meant for the seasonal workers and I suspect I didn't get quite as much done in my garden as I should of due to this beer.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/446097/2017-spring-saison

I am going to try this same recipe with a side by side of the WLP565 Belgian Saison and WLP4020 Wallonian Farmhouse in the Spring of 2018 to see the difference in the yeast.

Is this going to end up like the Recipe of the Week that was awarded once and never mentioned again?

I like this idea, but recipe of the month. Someone puts forward a recipe for brewing, those with interest give it a go, by the end of the month beer should be ready for drinking, appraisal. Then the next person puts a recipe forward for the next month and so on.

Would get people out of there comfort zone and brew something they wouldn't have.

I would put forward something like the recipe below, because I know most of you haven't (Especially Americans).

6 US Gallons - 5 Imperial Gallons - 22.7 Litrs
Pale Malt - 7.25lb - 3.3kg
Amber Malt - 1lb - 450g
Brown Malt - 1lb - 450g
Carafa III (De-husked) - 5oz - 135g
Fuggles - 60mins - 0.75oz - 20g
Fuggles - 30min - 0.75oz - 20g
Fuggles - 15min - 0.75oz - 20g
Goldings - 5mins - 0,5oz - 15g
Mash @ 152f - 67c - 1 hour
Boil 60 mins
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread

I like this idea, but recipe of the month. Someone puts forward a recipe for brewing, those with interest give it a go, by the end of the month beer should be ready for drinking, appraisal. Then the next person puts a recipe forward for the next month and so on.

Would get people out of there comfort zone and brew something they wouldn't have.

I would put forward something like the recipe below, because I know most of you haven't (Especially Americans).

6 US Gallons - 5 Imperial Gallons - 22.7 Litrs
Pale Malt - 7.25lb - 3.3kg
Amber Malt - 1lb - 450g
Brown Malt - 1lb - 450g
Carafa III (De-husked) - 5oz - 135g
Fuggles - 60mins - 0.75oz - 20g
Fuggles - 30min - 0.75oz - 20g
Fuggles - 15min - 0.75oz - 20g
Goldings - 5mins - 0,5oz - 15g
Mash @ 152f - 67c - 1 hour
Boil 60 mins
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread
Looks good to me.

a good german crystal in the spring dose anyone have a good recipe.

I've been thinking! After looking at Durden Park Beer Circle website...
http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk

They have a monthly programme, They meet in person every month, which is not practicable for here, but the concept is good. In 2017 there schedule was...

February - Light Mild
March - Stout
April - Courage London Ale (1820)
May - Red Ale (The challenge is to make a beer with the loudest red colour)
June - Belgium Style Beer
July - Lager
August - Highlight Hops (Make a 5% base beer using pale malt only and add a single hop of your choice.)
September - Holiday Beer
November - Barley Wine / Strong Old Ale

OK, I'll play.
I just put together an IIPA for 1 of my staff who was wanting something over the top.
Considering the winter we're having and some other things, I named it;

Snowflake IPA ... So bitter it'll make you cry and protest!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/586505/snowflake-ipa

He brewed it yesterday on his new Grainfather.
All went well until chilling where he blocked up the pump with all the hops. ;)

Take a look and share your thoughts.
Cheers,
Brian

Hi All
So it appears this Beer of the Month idea has fizzled and died?

Yep it sure looks that way. Yooper didn't want to brew all them great recipes :).

This thread started in November and I am seeing in for the first time in January. I need to know what the beer for July might be as I am generally well behind the curve.

Is the Spring brew idea still going?
I'm brewing an Irish Red next called 'Saigo Red Ale'. Why an Irish Red Ale? Well, St Patricks Day is in the Spring and a red ale should be a colourful drink to go with the season. Also, it's a malty beer to keep you going until it starts to get seriously warm, when you'll want a more refreshing drink. That's my logic anyway.
Here's the recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/588318

Back