Generic All-Grain APA

Well, it's been a long time now. The brew settled at 1.015 in the secondary (supposed to be 1.009). A little sweeter than I'd like (OK Nosybear, you can say I told you so now). I guess I have a couple of questions:
1. If I bottle it as is (after adding priming sugar), am I going to end up with a bunch of bottle bombs?
2. I was supposed to end up with 5 gallons -- only got 4 out of it (lots and lots of trub). How about if I add a gallon of water, a pound of dry malt extract and a fresh pack of yeast? Would this drop the sweetness a little and ease the FG down below 1.010?

Well, it's been a long time now. The brew settled at 1.015 in the secondary (supposed to be 1.009). A little sweeter than I'd like (OK Nosybear, you can say I told you so now). I guess I have a couple of questions:
1. If I bottle it as is (after adding priming sugar), am I going to end up with a bunch of bottle bombs?
2. I was supposed to end up with 5 gallons -- only got 4 out of it (lots and lots of trub). How about if I add a gallon of water, a pound of dry malt extract and a fresh pack of yeast? Would this drop the sweetness a little and ease the FG down below 1.010?
As to the bottle bomb question, let your gravity measuring system tell you if there's still fermentation going on (measure the gravity then repeat two days later. If they're the same, you're good.). As to the dilution, remember the equation V1*G1=V2*G2. V1 and G1 are what you have now: 4 gallons and 15 "points". Multiply and you get 60. Now divide that by 5 and you get 12. So I'd predict your FG if you do that dilution at 1.012. The pound of DME is going to add around 42 points per pound per gallon. You'll be adding about 8 points per gallon (40/5) BUT your yeast are not 100% attenuative. The yeast will digest maybe 75% of this, or 6 points per gallon. You'll be left with a net increase of 2 points by following your proposal, plus your beer will be more alcoholic and a fermentation after the fermentation might throw some off flavors.

My recommendation: Drink it and learn from the experience.

Thanks Nosybear. I think rather than fiddling around with this batch any more I'm just going ahead and bottling it. I haven't had a batch that didn't come down to expected FG so was a little concerned about adding sugar and having it overcarb in the bottles. The sweetness won't be a problem -- the sample was good and looked terrific.
And thanks for the dilution and off flavors analysis -- I appreciate you time to help me out!

Bottled two weeks ago and drinking now. Not fully carbed yet but this stuff is top notch! I'm thinking the sweetness is due to high mash temp and not the crystal40 -- got up over 160f (71c). Maybe I should get the mash to 152, wrap a blanket around it and forget about trying to keep the temp steady by fiddling with the burner -- really hard to regulate. Lesson learned...

Bottled two weeks ago and drinking now. Not fully carbed yet but this stuff is top notch! I'm thinking the sweetness is due to high mash temp and not the crystal40 -- got up over 160f (71c). Maybe I should get the mash to 152, wrap a blanket around it and forget about trying to keep the temp steady by fiddling with the burner -- really hard to regulate. Lesson learned...
I find that once mashed in the heat you apply by burner will be delayed by a few minutes. So if your adjusting temp to kets say 66c if your thermometer is reading 66c itll raise a degree or two more:eek:!
Thats what i find anyhow. So i mash in hopefull land on or near mash temp wrap her up nice and snug and leave it but for a stir or two until next temp rise.

Yeah, I've gotta learn to quit fussing with it. I have a habit of stirring it every few minutes -- should probably wrap it up and leave it alone. One stir, maybe two...

Back