Fried yeast.

Brewaholic

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, being the noob that I am I started a brew yesterday I used mangrove jacks roasted stout and coopers enhancer 2 its a double pouch bag after I poured the malt out I proceeded to pour boiling water in the thing to get the rest out forgetting the yeast was in the other pouch it was def warm 24hrs later I get up and the yeast is definitely active the airlock is bubbling away nicely but not quiet as aggressive as the first batch I made but messed up. Should I pitch in some more? My og was about .051 at 20 liters at 23 it was about .043 add some sucrose? . Temp is steady between 24-26 c .

Sounds like your making beer! That temp is a little warm next time if you can, keep it around 20c but if its bubbling its fermenting. You will find every fermentation is a little different. Since you are fermenting a little warm, what I would do is give it a week at least then if the bubblng has stopped let it cool down slowly to 17c to 20c for another week. This will help the yeast clean itself up. Even if no bubbler activity they will be cleaning up the stuff that can leave off flavors in your beer. Then when it reads the same gravity 2 days in a row with your hydrometer it will be finished. Not sure how that yeast finishes out but my guess would be somewhere around 1.006-1.012. The kit should give you this info. Welcome to brewing!

I agree the temp is a little warm, the cooler the temp the slower the start, but I do most of my beers 17 C (62 F) or lower to keep the esters down. But that just a preference.

Adding more yeast isn't necessary if fermentation is started. The yeast will continue to grow and at the end of fermentation it will have the same or near ending yeast count even if you add more yeast.

Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Thanks for the help guys, temp is actually starting to climb more now heading for 28c going to let it sit in a tub of water, assuming it should be fine?

I'd say you want to start trying to bring that temp down. Once it gets high, you can get off flavors like fusel alcohol or other esters you may not want. I'm sure it'll be ok in the end though.

Back