Christmas Pudding!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok ok I couldn't hold back any longer . It's been my tradition when it comes to Christmas over the last few years when hosting the family Christmas to make,the Christmas Pudding. So I thought I'd share my recipe here and maybe if anyone on here makes their own get some ideas on what you put in your Christmas pudding bar the lucky/unlucky coin at the bottom;). My recipe isn't mine it's off taste.com (we'll sort of like my brewing it's a template I quickly deviate from):p.

I'm currently stewing all the fruit not as in recipes below I went random glacé cherries, local ginger, citrus peel, raisins,currents,dates,prunes. Yep she's gunna keep us all regular! I've stewed this in who knows how much vodka yep I know should be brandy but didn't have any in shelve. I've added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and weird one Chinese five spice in with the fruit it smells very Christmassy . Anyway from here it's mix in other ingredients and wrap in muslin cloth and boil in pot for couple of hours then let it ripen till Chrissy.

So what's everyone's take on the Christmas Pud would love to hear your recipes and maybe feedback on mine what to do from here cheers!
  • Ingredients
  • Nutrition
  • 750g mixed dried fruit
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
  • 2 teaspoons mixed spice
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup (70g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups (120g) fresh (made from day-old bread) breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
  • Plain flour, extra, to dust
  • Double cream, to serve
Brandy butter
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (100g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy or sherry
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Select all ingredients

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 199
Well I've got a bit complacent on this pudding but it finally getting around to boiling it. You think a Pilsner boil or,decoction brew takes some time try a six hour boil for a Christmas pudding!:eek:. So sitting here sipping me homebrew whilst observing my little pot of pudding to make sure it doesn't boil dry of water. I don't know about you guys but you can't go past a well made,Christmas pudding let alone well made beer:). And who wants to buy one of those crappy pre made puddings from the shop when you can make one with love and lots of beer:p gives me an excuse to sit out the back and watch something and drink beer! Below is a pick of this process cheers and merry Christmas to you all;).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 232
Gunna resurrect this thread again in the hopes I might get some new ideas for this Christmases Pudding. Brandy yes mixed fruit yes eggs yes bread crumbs yes ( spent grain)?? DME ?? The family have put in their order for me to don the apron and mix up another Chrissy pudding!
just looking for inspiration is all I'm not in the mood this year:rolleyes:.

I don't think I've ever had a pudding like this? Sounds interesting.

Ok ok I couldn't hold back any longer . It's been my tradition when it comes to Christmas over the last few years when hosting the family Christmas to make,the Christmas Pudding. So I thought I'd share my recipe here and maybe if anyone on here makes their own get some ideas on what you put in your Christmas pudding bar the lucky/unlucky coin at the bottom;). My recipe isn't mine it's off taste.com (we'll sort of like my brewing it's a template I quickly deviate from):p.

I'm currently stewing all the fruit not as in recipes below I went random glacé cherries, local ginger, citrus peel, raisins,currents,dates,prunes. Yep she's gunna keep us all regular! I've stewed this in who knows how much vodka yep I know should be brandy but didn't have any in shelve. I've added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and weird one Chinese five spice in with the fruit it smells very Christmassy . Anyway from here it's mix in other ingredients and wrap in muslin cloth and boil in pot for couple of hours then let it ripen till Chrissy.

So what's everyone's take on the Christmas Pud would love to hear your recipes and maybe feedback on mine what to do from here cheers!
  • Ingredients
  • Nutrition
  • 750g mixed dried fruit
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
  • 2 teaspoons mixed spice
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup (70g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups (120g) fresh (made from day-old bread) breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
  • Plain flour, extra, to dust
  • Double cream, to serve
Brandy butter
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (100g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy or sherry
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Select all ingredients
More double cream,less brandy butter
ta:D
Will have some mince pies an all ta:cool:

Oh, thanks for sharing with this recipe! We'll try it for this Christmas :)

Oh, thanks for sharing with this recipe! We'll try it for this Christmas :)
That one come from taste.com

It turned out alright not as good as previous years. Thats why i was looking for any other ideas. You need to hand it over a pot of water on rolling boil 5 hours.

Be sure to share some picks.

This sounds interesting. I am planning to prepare a few recipes from the guide régime that I found from Also, I will try your recipe for this Christmas. I am sure that my family and friends will love this dish. Thank you for sharing.

I'd substitute the brandy for rum, my grandma's Rum pudding was fab...
Ah dam it i got the brandy this week now to soak some fruit mix in it doused with all the christmass spice cinnamon all spice nutmeg mmmmm what else?

Have finnaly got my behind into christmas gear and got that pudding in the boil 4 1/2 hours it says.

I tried a different recipie this year.

20171213_135840.jpg

one thing I can say about this pic is if you don't own a pare of vice grips. your a not a diy person ;)

one thing I can say about this pic is if you don't own a pare of vice grips. your a not a diy person ;)
Life's to short not to own a pair I say. I was looking around for something to fix that copper pipe in place thinking clamp then went one better with a vice grips!

At it again today same recipe as per previous years hope it turns out just as tasty. 3 hours into a 5 - 5.5 hour boil. Gone electric this year using my sparge pot got the watts at 420 gets a nice simmer going. Also boiling in an stainless bowl as opposed to muslin cloth anyhow cheers.

Anyone else doing pudding this year?
20191123_131857.jpg

Zee mix
20191123_131837.jpg

Zee start of 5 hour boil.

Cool Ben!
My late mother in law use to make pudding, the best part was her rum sauce.
Rum sauce now I'm all ears Craig.
I soak the fruit in a healthy douse of rum with the nutmeg cinnamon and allspice for the week prior to the boil. Cheers funny how you do something once and then it just sticks as your thing you do for Chrissy looks like I'm the Pud boy:p oh and that mad Homebrew fanatic :).

Bump anyone trying their hand at Christmas pudding this year?
Time for me to get some fruit soaking in some rum and boil one up again.

Back