Kveik Yeast

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used a kveik yeast? I just recently found out about them and they sound kind of wild.

Wild yeast? No thanks!!! :D

Has anyone here ever used a kveik yeast? I just recently found out about them and they sound kind of wild.
Nope that ain't like kafir milk yeast? It's used to ferment goats milk into some probiotic drink really good for you in beer I wonder what it'd do.

Nope that ain't like kafir milk yeast? It's used to ferment goats milk into some probiotic drink really good for you in beer I wonder what it'd do.
It's a Norwegian famhouse ale yeast. It apparently ferments with the same flavor profile at 68 F or 100 F and attenuates really well. I was thinking about trying my hand at a traditional Norwegian raw ale or a farmhouse ale using kveik.

It's a Norwegian famhouse ale yeast. It apparently ferments with the same flavor profile at 68 F or 100 F and attenuates really well. I was thinking about trying my hand at a traditional Norwegian raw ale or a farmhouse ale using kveik.
Why not is there much out there on the web on this yeast? You just need to formulate the right recipie now to use thos yeast in. Ive no experience wirh thia yeast but im betting its got a lot of character .

Wow wow wow i just read that article on this Herculean farmhouse Norwegian yeast. It ferments clean up to 40C! Is tolerant up to and over 12%! It attenuates well and is a super floculant! A broad flavour range and seems to be a seeperate yeast strain. Wow

So according to that article you need to pre boil sime juniper in your brew water. Use just a base ale grain mash at 68-70c ferment around 36c or thereabouts oh keep hops to a minimum like brief steep when transfering wort to ferment vessal where the juniper plays the major bittering role. No boil! What the:confused::eek:. I love it so different from my brewing practices thus would make the science nazis freek right out lol:p.

I made a SMASH recipe for the raw ale using a hopback method for the hops "addition", but can't seem to find out if any utilization will occur. IIRC alpha acid isomerization stops below 175 F, but I set utilization to 5% anyways. At this point it's semantics, but if anyone knows if hops will contribute IBUs to a brew at those temps please weigh in! (I know the yeast says Dry Belgian, but it's the closest I could find in regards to attenuation, flocculation, etc.)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/570720/raw-ale

I've done a few FWH and whirlpool beers my guess is it does contribute Bittering just not as much as if you were boiling them for 60min.

I was impressed! So I bought 2 packages at Norther Brewers. Maybe try mixing it in with S-23 Lager yeast to create a hybrid Lager yeast that works well at elevated temps. Necessity is the mother of invention. Experimentation will either prove it works or it does not work. ;)

Update: I'm having some dried kveik sent from Norway. Based on reading about it (for those of you that checked out the awesome article skyblue67 shared), does anyone think there could be a problem if I use my regular primary fermentation vessel? I don't wanna get any nasties in there that I can't get rid of.

Update: I'm having some dried kveik sent from Norway. Based on reading about it (for those of you that checked out the awesome article skyblue67 shared), does anyone think there could be a problem if I use my regular primary fermentation vessel? I don't wanna get any nasties in there that I can't get rid of.
If your primary fermentation vessel is plastic, you might want to retire it or special-purpose it after fermenting with wild bugs. If it's stainless or glass, rigorous cleaning of any soft parts like gaskets or hoses should keep you from krieking any future batches....

If your primary fermentation vessel is plastic, you might want to retire it or special-purpose it after fermenting with wild bugs. If it's stainless or glass, rigorous cleaning of any soft parts like gaskets or hoses should keep you from krieking any future batches....
It's glass! Thanks Nosy!

Will do! I am currently trying to decide how warm to ferment. With everything I've read stating that the flavor profile won't really be affected by fermentation temps, I'm considering shooting for the higher end of the range to see what flavors I'll get and to see how fast it'll finish.

Will do! I am currently trying to decide how warm to ferment. With everything I've read stating that the flavor profile won't really be affected by fermentation temps, I'm considering shooting for the higher end of the range to see what flavors I'll get and to see how fast it'll finish.
Yep id just leave the fermentation do its thing let it warm as it will sounds like youll get a fantastic beer either way. You going tye boiled juniper route:)? Whats your grist for this? Im imagining a straight forward base malt with minimum hopping rates?

I’m going to boil a relatively small juniper branch for 30 minutes, then let it steep for 30 minutes. I’m waffling between Pilsner and Marris otter for the malt. I plan to use magnum for the “hop addition” since it’s relatively clean and has a high AA%. Pretty much gonna throw the hops in a bag with a very small juniper branch and toss it in while the mash cools to pitching temps, then pull it before fermentation.

I’m going to boil a relatively small juniper branch for 30 minutes, then let it steep for 30 minutes. I’m waffling between Pilsner and Marris otter for the malt. I plan to use magnum for the “hop addition” since it’s relatively clean and has a high AA%. Pretty much gonna throw the hops in a bag with a very small juniper branch and toss it in while the mash cools to pitching temps, then pull it before fermentation.
I read that article you posted they hop their beer on transfer to fermentation vessel. I like where your going with this. Very interesting.

I used Omegas HotHead Ale yeast, which is also kveik for 2 different brews this past summer.

One was a 4.3% Session IPA with El Dorado, Crystal and Cascade hops. Very good good beer, OK flocculation.

And also a Rye ale with Falconer's Flight 7C's and Eureka! hops. Gorgeous beer. I do not know what exactly the yeast did in terms of esters and flavours, but both beers were great. Attenuation 75% and 77%.

These were fermented at 75-77F or 24-25C and no off flavours to speak off.

If this would come in dry form, I would buy the shit our of it. It is great from very low temps. up to 100F, which is unheard of from an ale yeast.

With the right grainbill, mash temps. and schedule, hops and maybe spices, you can make anything from saisons and farmhouse ales to porter, IPAs, pale ales, etc.

I used Omegas HotHead Ale yeast, which is also kveik for 2 different brews this past summer.

One was a 4.3% Session IPA with El Dorado, Crystal and Cascade hops. Very good good beer, OK flocculation.

And also a Rye ale with Falconer's Flight 7C's and Eureka! hops. Gorgeous beer. I do not know what exactly the yeast did in terms of esters and flavours, but both beers were great. Attenuation 75% and 77%.

These were fermented at 75-77F or 24-25C and no off flavours to speak off.

If this would come in dry form, I would buy the shit our of it. It is great from very low temps. up to 100F, which is unheard of from an ale yeast.

With the right grainbill, mash temps. and schedule, hops and maybe spices, you can make anything from saisons and farmhouse ales to porter, IPAs, pale ales, etc.
Well make sure you keep that yeast viable! Is it a selected release or you can buy it anytime?

Yeah i sounds like a revolutionary kind of yeastie according to that same article the Norwegian fellas did dry it out in between brews so i dont see why its not sold in dry form then?

Back