Water Chemistry not linking to Recipe, no water adjustment report?

Matchrocket

Trial Member
Reaction score
New to brewers Friend, not at all new to water adjustments / brewing. I won't get into why I made the change in software here, but I wanted to get clarification on what I see to be a major issue with this tool, and I hope I'm missing something.

Why aren't your water adjustments reflected in your recipe / brew day? I find it extremely strange after going through the water profile for your recipe and saving the record, the salt/acid additions are NOT added / reflected in the recipe in anyway. More-over, I find it very very strange you can't see a mash/spare report showing g/gal of salts and acid additions in ml/g for each either mash or sparge after making adjustments. You get a mostly useless "overall water report".

I've acidified sparge water to a target pH with lactic Acid --> Where is the amount I need to add? Its not shown in the Sparge Water Acidification or recipe.

I've acidified mash water to bring pH down --> Where is the amount I need to add? I Chose "target" pH. I get an acidulated malt equivalent at the end, but no lactic acid amounts. Again, do I have to calculate the amount (ml/gal) manually?

I've made salt adjustments to the ?? (mash? Sparge? doesn't say. Generic Salt additions) Where is my my total amount needed per gallon for mash and sparge? Do I have to make the calculations on my own? Bru'N Water makes more sense to use if I do have to the math on my own.

I like the tool overall, simple, portable, better record keeping than Beer********* (take your pick). But this is almost a deal breaker, enough to go back to excel / etc if I can't manage water in a useful way.

Link to saved water profile: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=1XYXQXZ

We are working on this right now- I also hate the way it's separate and I have to go back and forth. We are integrating it into the recipe, and into the brewsteps.

The tool itself is good, though. You can switch between acidulated malt and lactic acid, and add your salts, etc, just like you do in Bru'nwater. Give it another chance, play with it a bit, and see if you find it becomes more user friendly to you after that. It should!

glad to hear, I've gotten used to it but that always bothered me too

We are working on this right now- I also hate the way it's separate and I have to go back and forth. We are integrating it into the recipe, and into the brewsteps.

The tool itself is good, though. You can switch between acidulated malt and lactic acid, and add your salts, etc, just like you do in Bru'nwater. Give it another chance, play with it a bit, and see if you find it becomes more user friendly to you after that. It should!
Very cool!. I'm getting used to it the more I play with it. So used to Bru'n water, a few things seem strange to me. (e.g. Total batch vs mash final profiles)

I'm happy to hear about that upcoming integration. Any update? Will there be a notification when the integration is complete? Thanks!

This is great news. BF is already great but I love to hear that it is getting better.

Glad to hear this improvement is underway.

Back