Leeuwenhoek - WLP564 yeast experience

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I've got a tricky one for Y'all :).
As per the title I'm looking at purchasing some of this yeast with my next grain order from hoppy days brewing thanks @Nugnut for the heads up with this awesome brew store your a champion! https://www.hoppydaysbrewingsupplie...aison-blend-wlp564-vault-strain-limited-stock

So my question is anyone brewed with this yeast?

Its a select yeast that whitelabs released obviously recently as it preformed well on there lab tests. https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp564-leeuwenhoek-saison-yeast-blend.

I've been keen to brew a mango Saison for sometime and seeing this released specialty strain peaked my interest in this beer as I failed miserably at the local hombrew comp with my previous berrie Saison attempt with mid to low 20's scores :oops: obviously a phenolic mess. With comments like using a commercial yeast strain ( like how am I gunna do that) comments pricking at my side. well whitelabs may be better than mangrove jacks some may beg to differ:rolleyes:. I'm going to restrain ferment temperature with this one as well that last yeast recommended starting at 26c and free rising from there I did exactly that ending up around 29c and with 100% attenuation!!! I see this yeasts % @ 85 so may retain more flavour and Body with this yeast as well. Only info I could garner on this yeast is leaving an orange peel flavour.

I'm thinking of using my passionfruit Saison recipe and subbing the passionfruit for mango probably pured pasteurised at 70c for half hour and added directly to primary fermentor. I'm not sure on the special B as I've herd we can't get this Delicious specialty malt here in Aus anymore but special W from Weyermann Maltster. See below for recipie I'm all open to suggestions all and welcome your valuable feedback on crafting a better Saison this time:).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/451183/passion-fruit-saison

Last edited:
By the way I am dirnking your S & W at the moment and its a very pleasant drop. Iy was my first tru all grain. I will put up a couple of photos of my new brew station shortly.

By the way I am dirnking your S & W at the moment and its a very pleasant drop. Iy was my first tru all grain. I will put up a couple of photos of my new brew station shortly.
Sweet mate well I'll be brewing that S&W beer soon I just put in an order with that brew store and got some grains went with gladfield ale malt some galaxy and a new hop I haven't tried yet called Eureka I'm looking forward to this one I might use the stone and wood grist and lace it with them hops num nums :D. Also got that saison yeast so interesting times ahead in my brew house.

Well that saison blend yeast vault yeast showed up this arvo after some shear frustration from me the pacell delivery company almost returned the parcel back to the brew store! But 4 dayd later my yeasties have arived sitting at 23.5 centegrade lucky their saison strain so hopefully can handle it:rolleyes:.

Ill spin a big starter up this arvo and check viability that way.

I also got some gladfield ale malt anyone used this?

And mmmm mmmm some more Galaxy and a new hop im champing at the bit to try Eureka anyone tried this? Anyhow now to eeek out a saison brew with me new supply.

off the top of me head im thinking

2.5kg GF Ale malt
.5 kg vienna
1kg wheat
.2 Special W (weyerman)

And hop it late with this Eureka

And whirlpool pureed mango

Whatcha recon? Give me 5 ill slap a recipe together.

Attachments

• 20171024_142335.jpg
    20171024_142335.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20171024_144530.jpg
    20171024_144530.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 74
Well there it is!
this brew is a delightful mid strength full flavoured fruity beer.

The flavour the flavour! A rewarding beer it tis! A nose full of topical fruit weather from the mangoes or Eureka late hops or both. A warm beer to look at it looks mango-ey. Its refreshing lite bodied and oh so complex in that your taste buds keep wondering is that mango fruit bannanna yeah im getting carried away but i have to say if you can land some of this yeast its a beauty;).

20171121_185002.jpg

Back