Is this an infected batch?

Brewer #104783

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I brewed a saison 12 days ago, and I took a SG test (1.003). The smell in the beer reminded me of an infected batch that I've had before; it tasted kind of phenolic, but it wasn't a REALLY bad smell or taste. I took a couple of pictures of the fermentor, so, maybe some of you could tell me if this looks infected or it it could get better with time?

I used Belle Saison, which I pitched at 18 degrees celsius, and temperature was raised to around 23 celsius.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    894.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 161
Hey!

I brewed a saison 12 days ago, and I took a SG test (1.003). The smell in the beer reminded me of an infected batch that I've had before; it tasted kind of phenolic, but it wasn't a REALLY bad smell or taste. I took a couple of pictures of the fermentor, so, maybe some of you could tell me if this looks infected or it it could get better with time?

I used Belle Saison, which I pitched at 18 degrees celsius, and temperature was raised to around 23 celsius.

Thanks in advance!
Could be just normal Saison funk. I've found that the "off" flavors in a Saison will mellow over time.

Yeah compare that to this.
YEfppwz.jpg

I still managed to recover and drink a kegs worth out of it.

Actually not to bad. I had doubts about it but my neighbour and my wife both quite enjoyed it. The keg is empty now at any rate.

Hey!

Thanks in advance!
You certainly got that Saison yeast to eat everything in sight....which is what they're famous for!

I would agree that the pics look totally fine, and Saison is want to have some pretty specific aromas and smells....looks good to me!

Back