Brew Steps & Alarm Sounds

Lee Tucker

Trial Member
Reaction score
Larry, sorry to bombard you with feedback over the last couple days but I just completed my first brew session using the iPhone app and wanted to provide you my thoughts while they were fresh on my mind.

First of all, I want to say that I really like where this app is going. It is so close to being what I want in an app and I'm looking forward to future improvements. (I know we've been over it before but I'm still hoping for a native iPad or universal app too but I'll save that rant for now!!!) What I found myself missing tonight was the Brew Steps feature found on the web app. I have really come to like this feature because it ensures I don't miss a small but important step. I found myself having the web app open on my iPad checking off the steps and the iPhone app open on my phone using the timers. Having the steps available on the app would make my day and make this a true single source tool for me.

Next, I'm glad you added the audible alarms for the timers, but they aren't very good in my opinion. The sound is very subtle and short, I would like to hear something more....alarming, or be able to customize the sound to fit what works for me. Also, I'm not sure but I think I noticed the sound was different when the phone was locked vs unlocked? I didn't test this further tonight so it may have been my imagination.

Thank you again for the great work and continuous improvements.
Lee

Noted on the brew steps.

When the phone is locked it will play whatever default notification you have set. Thanks for the feedback on our sound effect, yeah we went with one that was basic.

larry/lee,

Firstly Larry, excellent job on the new sounds. I upgraded the app without reading what the upgrade was. So I got a nice surprise when it came to the first hop addition and I heard a notification noise. I had a second timer app running at the same time so I can stop using that now.

As for the actual sound, I suppose it's a subjective thing. I understand where lee is coming from but I like the subtle sound and notification message, the reason is that the other app I use give off a repetitive sound like my alarm clock, which wreaks my head! So what ever you do don't do that, maybe the customize sound would be best?

An option to customize the sound would be good. I don't have the phone out the entire brew day. I used the app for the first time and missed a step because the sound while locked was too quiet. I didn't hear it go off in my pocket, and didn't notice I had missed the step until I looked at my phone 10 minutes later wondering when the alarm was going to sound.

MikeMSD said:
An option to customize the sound would be good. I don't have the phone out the entire brew day. I used the app for the first time and missed a step because the sound while locked was too quiet. I didn't hear it go off in my pocket, and didn't notice I had missed the step until I looked at my phone 10 minutes later wondering when the alarm was going to sound.

Great idea!

Austin said:
MikeMSD said:

Great idea!

Did this option get implemented? if so, how can I make a real buzzer to the timer, also when it is locked?

kemyrhau said:
Austin said:
MikeMSD said:

Great idea!

Did this option get implemented? if so, how can I make a real buzzer to the timer, also when it is locked?

This hasn't been added yet, but thanks for keeping it on our radar!

This would be a good work around for the timer failing that I've reported. I don't use the app's timer, because it will show not to be running from time to time. If the app's notification required me to silence it, that would be suitable.

Back