I brewed today!

Brewing now, Rye IPA, 1.074, Mount Hood and Columbus.
Near the limit of my MLT!
Also first time salt additions, pH 5.33 @117F 5 mins in, excited!
2017-08-23 11.02.27.jpg

going to brew a Habanero IPA tomorrow.

Mosaic single hopped at 15, whirlpool, dry hop. 05 yeast in it.

Cut up 1.5 habanero today, locally grown, tossed it in some vodka with about 5 seeds, and I'll pitch that alcohol once the wort has fermented.

PSA here, just be careful what you touch after cutting up habaneros. I can't be more serious as I type this in a decent amount of pain.
Do you pitch the vodka in there as well or just the habaneros?
Thanks

Brewing now, Rye IPA, 1.074, Mount Hood and Columbus.
Near the limit of my MLT!
Also first time salt additions, pH 5.33 @117F 5 mins in, excited!View attachment 1835

I have a rye IPA fermenting now , few points lower on gravity than yours though
Mine is now called Problem child after the brewday headaches and making a mess in the fridge

Do you pitch the vodka in there as well or just the habaneros?
Thanks
strain the vodka, get the peppers out, and pitch only the vodka. I've never done this before, but I found a good read about it, can't remember what website, but I copied it at least.

CHILE PREP CHECKLIST
• Rinse the chiles to remove dust, pesticides, and other surface contaminants.
• If desired, slice the chiles lengthwise and scrape with a spoon to deseed the chiles.
• Coarsely chop the chiles. I like to work with pieces about 1/4" (6 mm) square.
• Remove the resulting pieces to a clean jar and add just enough of a neutral spirit like vodka to cover the chiles.
• Wait a week or so for the alcohol to extract the chiles' flavor and aroma compounds.
• Strain the chile-infused alcohol into another container and discard the "spent" chiles.
• Working with a small sample of beer, add the chile extract dropwise until the desired result is obtained, then scale up to the full batch volume.

S&W Summer Ale (Trialben's!!) will be made tomorrow!!

S&W Summer Ale (Trialben's!!) will be made tomorrow!!
Hey one more thing you could only boil for 40min haze contribution and FWH galaxy as bittering. Those ibus are about right for that brew too. Good luck youll love it!

I have a rye IPA fermenting now , few points lower on gravity than yours though
Mine is now called Problem child after the brewday headaches and making a mess in the fridge

I bet they are close, turns out I completely forgot to stir between batch sparges, had my lowest efficiency yet (64% Brewhous)! Blah! Oh well, still make a 5.5 if it his FG ok.

Just finished up my second "Yeast Starter Belgian Pale Ale". Will see if a couple of tweaks improved it.

Just brewed a pale ale with columbus, fuggle, cryo mosaic, cryo simcoe, and cryo citra. I had to see if all the hype around cryo hops is worth it.

Just finished up my second "Yeast Starter Belgian Pale Ale". Will see if a couple of tweaks improved it.
A side note: The Fermentis Abbaye yeast is a monster! It chewed through 44 gravity points (OG 1.052, measured gravity last night 1.008) in two days. Pitch was a full packet of yeast into 2.5 gallons of wort at 68 degrees. For a full batch I'd rehydrate it to keep most of the cells alive but for the small batch, losing half of the cells to osmotic pressure wasn't a bad thing. Pitch it and get out of the way.

Brewing in the dark, that's old-school ............prohibition oldschool

That's commitment right there ! I start brewing at dawn since if a housemate turns the kettle on while my electric boiler is running it throws a breaker

Brewing an all Citra Pale Ale and watching GameDay. Football and brewing. Doesn't get much better.

Hadn't planned on brewing this weekend but I scored one of the carboys malt extract comes in, it had about a pound of Pilsen extract still in it. I got that out and so decided to do the "Helles Projekt" batch using extract either tomorrow or Monday (our answer to the rest of the world's labor day). I'll be very careful with the splashing and so test the LoDo idea, at least in principle, while I brew.

Bottled my Habanero IPA today. Sample is way less hoppy and way less spicy than I wanted it to be.

using west coast water, and deionized for sparge, I did no bittering hops. 1oz Mosaic at 15 and 2oz Mosaic whirlpooled, dry hopped with 1oz Mosaic. And I sliced up 1.5 habaneros, took 5 seeds, and steeped that in vodka for about a week during fermentation. Pitched the vodka, and no peppers. Spiciness is subtle, it's very subtly present.

I think in the future I need some Magnum at bittering, spread out the mosaic to 15, 5, whirlpool, dry hop, and chop up at least 2 peppers, and maybe 10 seeds. maybe 20. Put them on my mesh screen, rinse with vodka, and add peppers directly to the fermenter.

Brewing a rye xpa now , will be swapping this beer so hope it comes out just right!
Centennial, Citra and Mosiac is one of my favourite hop combos

Allow me to introduce 3 new friends
extra keg fridge i got from local club member for a mini keg of IPA ,
"Problem child " Rye IPA that made me swear on brewday ,during ferment and still won't pour clear .
Blocked up valve on transfer mostly due to fact it had an insane weight of hops and my hop spider sank but is just soooo juicy and wonderful i'll forgive it and reminded me how much i love a combo of amarillo , cascade and citra despite the hop haze .
My local club swap beer which is another Rye IPA brewed today ( was supposed to be XPA ) that ended up coming in 6 points high so had to do last minute maths to adjust

WP_20170903_006.jpg

Last edited:

Back