Aack! The squirrels are coming!

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On the way home from Bowling Greene, KY seeing the eclipse today, I saw this sign.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
First a changed sign eh then What! Maybe even the undermining of your very monetary system. Or then again you may end up even driving on the same side of the road as us:eek:.

Dollars are just fine ...almost like it's metric already .
As for them changing sides on the road we're actually in the minority there my friend
UK , Aus , Sth Africa , Indonesia ,India and Japan all drive on the left .
From memory so do most of the former colonies but still far more driving on the wrong side of the road

We'd have to get Mexico and Canada on board with changing sides of the road. The borders are crazy enough already! Don't need to add to that chaos!

Metric is great! Go squirrels! By the way, the Germans have already proven squirrels can drive on the right side of the road.

even if going metric our country and states would have a huge undertaking changing the intersections and for that reason alone the cost would be enormous and its never going to change "in my opinion"

even if going metric our country and states would have a huge undertaking changing the intersections and for that reason alone the cost would be enormous and its never going to change "in my opinion"
We started trying back in the '70s. What you saw is a leftover from that time - I can guarantee most of Kentucky doesn't know what a kilometer measures, much less how long it is. And the argument is incorrect: While we'd have to educate everyone here that 500ml is about a pint, the rest of the world would finally understand how much is in our stuff. It would actually, over time, cost less in packaging costs (like making up US-only labels for your Nutella). Or having to make different dashboards for your Toyota. Or all the unit conversions we engineers have to do - what is the actual definition of a horsepower? When I was in college, I'd do the work in metric then convert the answer, just for ease. And what about that $300 million divot we put on Mars because someone forgot to convert from squirrel to US Conventional? It's so much easier and no one really cares that a kilogram is technically mass, not weight....

I actually meant the roads switching from right to left, it would be too much for most cities, we just had a huge overhaul with double turn lanes and criss cross hot wheals type bridge intersections, I think I heard for this small city it was somewhere in the millions range for cost, imagine the entire country

Hahaha, took me reading the whole thread before I finally realized what was "wrong" with the sign...(I guessing the weird parentheses with the "mi", right!? ;))
Thankfully metric doesn't have to equal right-hand drive. What side of the road is driven on is IMO irrelevant, so long the car is built for it (NEVER put the gear-shift and signal-lever on the same f'n side!!), and the road rules aren't as idiotic as in NZ!

Don't think anyone is even considering asking the rest of the the world to change to right hand drive / left lane usage .

It still baffles me as to why I cant use a left hand drive car on local roads unless its over 30 years old , didn't take me long to adjust my driving and we don't even have an auto industry to protect anymore

Yea driving on left or right I suppose it does create a little caos. I've herd of plenty head on collisions up in the Northern Territory where German tourists forgot we drive on left side of the road and merrily driven off up the road on the wrong side of the road only to meet someone smack bang on a bend.

I for 1 wouldn't like to drive a motor vehicle in another country on the wrong side of the-roads with foreign imperial roads signs:eek:....

You can keep it America

turns out they started abbreviating miles with either M or MI depending on the space of the sign but the ( ) is a nice touch, like we don't know which one to read? lol

So how about the difference between a liter and a litre? I'd put it at about 3,000 miles....

Yea driving on left or right I suppose it does create a little caos. I've herd of plenty head on collisions up in the Northern Territory where German tourists forgot we drive on left side of the road and merrily driven off up the road on the wrong side of the road only to meet someone smack bang on a bend.
I actually watched this unfold live in NZ. My climbing partner (kiwi) and I (american) followed a car along a road close to Wanaka being driven by (ironically) an other american + passenger merrily and completely unaware in the right lane. We tried flashing our lights and honking to warn them, but no avail.. As we came to a curve we dropped back, not wanting to be directly involved in a potential accident, and watched as someone came around from from the other side in the same lane! Thankfully there was enough space and the drivers of both cars reacted quickly enough to avoid a head-on.
I only know the driver was another american, 'cause we flagged down a cop in Wanaka, told him the story, and he then found the car + driver, ticketed him, and came around to the pub afterwards to let us know he had. :D

Back