My Noobie Red Ale

Daddyjax

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have started another batch and this time I went for an American Amber Ale.
I did forget to put in Irish Moss but I think I will fine it with Gelatin unless someone has a better idea. I will be transferring to a secondary after 7-10 days pending.
It looks like I am getting 69% efficiency from my BIAB!
20170813_172527.jpg

For sure although it will be more like 6 weeks since I bottle condition.

Haha, however long it takes. I always say my beer is ready when I've drank the last pint

My better idea is quite simple: If you don't need to fine it, don't! Even gelatin strips out a bit of flavor and color. If time and temperature can clarify the beer, let it. The beer will be better.

Ive forgot it too but I use whirlfloc tablets and actually crushed and added it to the fermenter when finished just before adding to the keg and it worked, I was very surprised, I don't recommend doing this though for sanitation purposes, I'm a freak for clean equipment

This is after 7 days of good solid fermentation! I moved it to a secondary and looking forward to bottling in a few weeks. I let it go at 68 degrees for the first day and then swamp coolered it to get it down to 61 degrees and will keep it there for the remainder.
20170820_072906.jpg

So I am thinking of going ahead and bottling this up. It has only been 2 weeks but my readings havent changed in 7 days. What are your thoughts? Should I leave it alone for another week? What are the reasons?

I think I am going to dry hop some Falconers flight for a few days before bottling. I am looking to add 1oz. for one week. Thoughts?
20170826_072116.jpg

Last edited:
A very small amount, say 1/4 oz (8g) for a couple of days couldn't hurt. Red sle isn't traditionally a hoppy style.

Oh...I could have used that info yesterday. I put 1 oz. in already. I dropped it in so I need to let it settle before bottling.

Always think positive... If it is to hoppy call it a red IPA! A 1.012 to 1.014 shouldn't be to sweet for that.:)

Yup! I took a sip of it and it was good flavor but the aroma was off so thats why I wanted to dry hop it. Its my Hoppy Red Ale!!

nothing wrong with a hoppy red but be careful, beer will sometimes taste completely different once carbed and conditioned

And possibly loose the beautiful clarity youve got going on there in that sample flask. Dry hopping may contribute haze .

Yeah, I was really happy to see it so clear! I am anxious for the dry hops to finish falling and settling so it will clear up again. Anyone know how long this might take? I was hoping no more than 3 days so I can bottle.

My understanding is that dry hopping is for aroma, not flavor. Is this incorrect?

Back