WORT COOL DOWN

JUAN LOPEZ

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Brewers, I vahe an18 gallon equipment, I do cool down the wort whith a coil, I run icecold water through the coil for about 2 hrs, to get it at 64° F, How can i cool the wort down in less time? should i get a chiller?

the reason I ask is I use a herms coil to chill my wort, I freeze a 5 gallon bucket of water and it fits perfectly inside the coils, I fill the hlt around it with water and recirculate, it brings the coils down to 45F or so and I just recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle through the coils until its down to around 90F then I add another ice bucket and recirculate the water through my plate chiller and it chills down to around 50F , this is my hlt

WP_20160704_003.jpg

Thanks for the tip, then the HLT has a double purpose to heat water and recirculate hot wort throug the coil with ice cold water, Great!!

A quarter inch coil does seem quite small and out of the ordinary is this a homemade coil

Are you stirring the wort? That'll cut down on the time.

Mine takes around an hour of garden watering untill im ready to drain to fermentor. Its a diy copper coiled mess im not incredibly happy with the chill times and have been thinking of making a new.one with reduced pipe size easier to bend and more efficient maybe.

That king cobra that brulosophy uses seems to be the G.O.

Mine takes around an hour of garden watering untill im ready to drain to fermentor. Its a diy copper coiled mess im not incredibly happy with the chill times and have been thinking of making a new.one with reduced pipe size easier to bend and more efficient maybe.

That king cobra that brulosophy uses seems to be the G.O.
Are you stirring during chilling Ben ? It really does help .
I'm brewing with a mate this morning and our 62 litre batch will be chilled in about 45 minutes .
We run mains water through 27 metre 12 mm copper IC until temps hit 75° then switch to glycol for the rest , there's a pump whirlpooling during chilling as well

I chill to a reasonable temperature with the faucet, then employ a 200 gph pond pump in ice water in my sink to get the wort the rest of the way chilled. It can be somewhat slow but it works.

Are you stirring during chilling Ben ? It really does help .
I'm brewing with a mate this morning and our 62 litre batch will be chilled in about 45 minutes .
We run mains water through 27 metre 12 mm copper IC until temps hit 75° then switch to glycol for the rest , there's a pump whirlpooling during chilling as well
You got me! I'm a lazy Brewer when it comes to the chill yes I'm not a big stirer:oops: + add that a quarter of my dodgey DIY chiller sits above the wort level :rolleyes: so it's not running at its full potential. I usually give it a stir every so often like I would me mash then after some time I'll unhook the hose from the chiller and give the whole keg a good dousing then hook it back up to the chiller. My last brew my wort was sitting at 21c on STC in ferm chamber but it is winter come summer I'll be lucky to get under 30c as you so well know yourself.

If I do make a new chiller I'll use this DIY chiller in a pre chill setup in esky on a pump like Nosey has mentioned.
I must admit having the freezer sure helps to zap the temp down too but Imersion works quicker I'm sure.

And then there is No chill but you have to brew with that intent from the start....

I measured the tap water ran through my plate chiller once on a 10 gallon batch to chill down to 70F and it filled up a 50 gallon drum, thats water wasted, thats why I tested and tested all kinds of ways to save water and came up with the ice method

I measured the tap water ran through my plate chiller once on a 10 gallon batch to chill down to 70F and it filled up a 50 gallon drum, thats water wasted, thats why I tested and tested all kinds of ways to save water and came up with the ice method
Oh yeah I got ya but I ain't HERMS me old mate;). I suppose closest thing to my single kettle brew system would be ice on a coil in esky;). Well just gotta put it into motion. My garden does look better the more I brew:D.

We put a cookie cooling rack in the laundry tub, then put the boil kettle on the cookie rack. Then fill the laundry tub with water and ice. I open the lid a couple times to keep a whirlpool, but we can chill from boil to pitch temp in 15 minutes for a 5 gallon batch. By whirlpooling the wort and agitating the water around and under the kettle (the cookie rack allows ice water to contact the bottom of the boil kettle) chilling is fairly easy and quick.

Get a stir paddle that will attach to a cordless drill. My immersion chiller takes 5 minutes to chill 6.5 gallons from near boiling to 72°F.

Squirrel conversion:

Get a stir paddle that will attach to a cordless drill. My immersion chiller takes 5 minutes (I think you use our minutes) to chill 24.6 liters from near boiling to 22.2°C.

Does anyone use store bought ice bags, or supercooled bottled water? I live in Singapore, and am a newbie so haven't invested in coils or anything. Bottled water or ice bags have worked quite well for me. Just calculate that into how much water you want to add. Just seeing if there were any other thoughts on using ice to chill the wort. Ice definitely reduces the temperature quickly.

My advice would be do partial boils and chill your wort in an ice water bath. You don't want the ice or frozen soda bottles or whatever you're using to come into contact with your wort unless you're absolutely sure it's sanitary. Put your pot in the ice water bath and stir. That should chill it quickly enough (and it's what I used to do back when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

I freeze filtered water for extracts but I treat it first with salts and lower the ph for the style I want

Back