(DONE) Ability to add whirlpool hops

Vaat

Premium Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if it was possible to add whirlpool time after the boil and then add hops at whirlpool time. These hop additions should be calculated into the IBU. ATM I'd add the whirlpool hops with 0 minutes during boil but that means the system doesn't pick them up for the IBU calculation.

Re: Ability to add whirlpool hops

That's a tricky one...

It would involve an additional factor to specify the whirlpool temperature. Temperature would impact the utilization.

The recipe editor has a 'no chill extra minutes' option under the More... section. That would have the same effect as whirlpool hops, assuming the wort is not being chilled actively.

I have a feeling the regular Tinseth/Rager IBU equations might not stand up to this bittering method. I do know it is getting more popular. That is how Stone Brewing gets a lot of their IBUs - but they have a lab.

The idea of Whirlpool and Hopback hops has been brought up before (linking here for cross reference):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=338

Thanks for the clarifications. I had not realized the 'no chill' box was intended for that. I thought it had something to do with proper Aussi type no-chill brewing. I'll try to set things up with that box.

Vaat said:
Thanks for the clarifications. I had not realized the 'no chill' box was intended for that. I thought it had something to do with proper Aussi type no-chill brewing. I'll try to set things up with that box.

'No Chill' just happens to be the closest way the tool can approximate it for now. :D

In doing more research on whirlpool and hopback hops, the recipe editor would need to allow the brewer to set the utilization, since it varies based on the temperature. The lower the temp the less utilization but more flavor is imparted.

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Ability to add whirlpool hops

The next release will include Whirloop and Hopback hop uses. Two new fields - utilization and temperature will appear. Brewers will need to use their own judgement to gauge the actual bitterness imparted from their hop stand. Utilization depends heavily on time of exposure, and the temperature of the exposure. 10% may be a middle ground value.

Whirlpool / Hopback hops (aka hop stands) are now supported in the recipe editor.

We left it up to the brewer to select a utilization factor, 10% is a reasonable guess, but the shorter the time and the lower the temp, the lower the utilization. There is lots of good information in this BYO post:
http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

Back