Inline carb system

jdwebb

Trial Member
Reaction score
I built an inline carbonation system similar to the Blichman machine, however, after just a few minutes, the return line running back into the keg runs clear after just a few minutes showing no signs of C02 in the liquid. There are no leaks that I can see at all.

I have the blichmann quick carb which is what you're talking about I have to start it at the recommended level of CO2 per the temperature of the beer every 15 minutes I have to turn it up another two to three pounds and repeat that for an hour so you should be up around 20 psi or little over at the end of an hour and your beer will be carbed quite nicely

I don't use my quick carb for beer anymore I spund all my beers so they naturally carbonate on their own, but I do use it for carbonating my wife's wine coolers

I have the blichmann quick carb which is what you're talking about I have to start it at the recommended level of CO2 per the temperature of the beer every 15 minutes I have to turn it up another two to three pounds and repeat that for an hour so you should be up around 20 psi or little over at the end of an hour and your beer will be carbed quite nicely

Yeah, I did that. But even according to the Blichman instructions and video, you're supposed to set it at the desired PSI and walk away for an hour, and your beer should be carbed. I'm finding its not quite the case, and I may revert back to doing it the quick way, just hook up the Co2 to the beer side and rock it back and forth for 7 minutes!

Yeah i was dissatisfied with that part also, i though i could set it and forget it for an hour.

That's why I spund now, I can set it and forget it, till drinking time.

I guess once the keg your trying to carb reaches the regulator presure set on the device it obviously equals out thats why you need to keep cranking it up every so often.

I spund all my beers so they naturally carbonate on their own,
Are you keg conditioning after the beer is finished and clearing in a fermenter or fermenting in keg? I assume the first option because there'd be too much trub in the keg.

4 gravity points before terminal I transfer to the keg, carrying over a little yeast, I let it finish fermenting at 48°f using a spunding valve with a pressure gauge set to 15 lbs.so as it finishes it also carbonated itself, the pressure gauge indicates the pressure, then I cold crash it to 32°f to lager, I serve right from the keg, the first glass or 2 are slightly cloudy with yeast, then all clear after that. The key is to be gentle when transferring to the keg.

I have my process down so I don't need gelatin any more.

Reactions: J A
This was spund

Attachments

• 20170616_160332_resized.jpg
    20170616_160332_resized.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: J A
The finished beer also, and the sample of Marzen shows how clear my wort is after chilling before it went to the fermentor.

Attachments

• 20170217_175026_resized.jpg
    20170217_175026_resized.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170702_172609_resized_1(1).jpg
    20170702_172609_resized_1(1).jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 129
I've seen where people have had some good results from using a carbonation keg lid that has a Co2 post welded on with a dangling hose and a 2 micron stone attached. I may try that and see if I get better results. The only difference between my setup and Blichman's is they use a 10 micron stone. I don't think that makes a difference though.

Take your beer 4 point from terminal gravity, put it in a keg, and it will finish fermenting and carbonate itself at the same time.

Back