New guy.

Fleabag

Trial Member
Reaction score
Howdy. Aussie who's always done coopers extract brew cans here.
I just picked up a mint grainfather for a ripper price so I can start some brews and pop my all grain cherry. Hope to pick up a 25kg bag of 2 or 6 row pale ale malt and start brewing.
Joined the forum so I can hopefully absorb some information through osmosis.

I just picked up a mint grainfather for a ripper price so I can start some brews and pop my all grain cherry. Hope to pick up a 25kg bag of 2 or 6 row pale ale malt and start brewing.
Welcome Aussie where a bouts do you hail from? You'll want some specialty malts with those base malts mate:).
Plenty helpful Brewers on here with plenty brewing knowledge.

Any questions fire away;).

Welcome Aussie where a bouts do you hail from? You'll want some specialty malts with those base malts mate:).
Plenty helpful Brewers on here with plenty brewing knowledge.

Any questions fire away;).
Thanks mate.
Hail from the goldfields in wa for now. My local hbs is brewmart in perth. Been going for a while and know the owner fairly well. Will get a few recipes together and get the little bits and pieces together like crystal malts and hops in one big buy along with the malt. Cart it all 10 hours home next time we're in Perth.
No hbs anywhere near me.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, but I have a question, you folks down under have mail service don't you? Could you pay a little extra to have your shopping list boxed up and shipped to you? Your easily saving money in fuel costs, just a thought that I'm sure you guys looked into.

I'm a lager guy, so your more than welcome to my recipes and knowledge.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, but I have a question, you folks down under have mail service don't you? Could you pay a little extra to have your shopping list boxed up and shipped to you? Your easily saving money in fuel costs, just a thought that I'm sure you guys looked into.

I'm a lager guy, so your more than welcome to my recipes and knowledge.
We have aus post but shipping 60 kgs of rice, 50 kg of grain, 100+ kgs of canned good and another 100 of sugar and all the other stuff would start to get expensive.

I drive a landcruiser 105 and its loaded to the gills when I drive back from Perth.

Then I would say the drive is worth the reward of fresh Home Brew. Ask any questions someone here will surely have an answer.

Take pictures along your travels, and post them, I would love to see them.

Welcome. Heard a lot of goods things about the Grain Father.

Well i know they grow alot of wheat over uour way there. Hopefully barley too:p.
Whats your malted barley cost you ny the kg? Theres some good little craft breweries ive herd of over perth way too...
Kalgoolie not sure uts spelt right?

Welcome mate , Beerbelly here in Radelaide do good deals on shipping
Have a look around for local brewing clubs as well since they sometimes do bulk buys on malt and hops

Welcome mate , Beerbelly here in Radelaide do good deals on shipping
Have a look around for local brewing clubs as well since they sometimes do bulk buys on malt and hops
Lol. Maybe you don't get how remote. The nearest town is one and a half hours away and I'm pretty sure the locals aren't allowed to drink there. No brew clubs anywhere nearby and I'm moving back to Perth in January so not much point starting one.
Kalgoorlie is 3.5 to 4 hours but the shops aren't what we need. No home brew other than extract from woolies or coles.
I figure buy a 25 kg or 2 from hbs in Perth of base malt for 65 to 85 buck and a few specialty grains and hops as required for a half dozen recipes from here and I'll be sorted for a while at least while I'm learning. Most malts are about $6 a kilo.

Well there ya go warramungas sounds like you know what ya need.

How you crushing your barley?
How you fermenting your beer in a chamber?
I'm reconning you'd be getting some pretty good temp swings out where ever in the never never you reside:).

There's some good recipes on here and if you'd like some ideas on a bulk buy if you like ales I'd go a sack of Marris otter ale malt. 4kg crystal 60. 1kg victory. Magnum hops for Bittering. Then load up on your Finnishing hops like Galaxy Citra Amarillo Nelson Sauvin Ect.

I'll pick up a crusher for the grain that can do .5mm. I've heard that's pretty optimum for the grainfather.
I do all my brewing in a fridge that can hold 2 x 30 liter fermenters and is controlled by an stc1000. I learnt fast that hot weather makes beer that tastes a bit like fruit salad.
I'm going to stick to recipes from here first with a few easier pale ales in my sights to start with as all grain is new to me. With the exception of a Belgium I want to try after the first couple of brews all going well.

I'll pick up a crusher for the grain that can do .5mm. I've heard that's pretty optimum for the grainfather.
I do all my brewing in a fridge that can hold 2 x 30 liter fermenters and is controlled by an stc1000. I learnt fast that hot weather makes beer that tastes a bit like fruit salad.
I'm going to stick to recipes from here first with a few easier pale ales in my sights to start with as all grain is new to me. With the exception of a Belgium I want to try after the first couple of brews all going well.
And what about yeast mate have you dabbled in them.

My simple ale recipie 4kg base malt 300g crystal 150g victory bitter to about 35ibu load it up at the tale end with galaxy mmm lovely.

For an APA its very hard to go past Wyeast 1272 for my tastes .
Another favourite is yeast recultured from longnecks of coopers pale ale :p quality beer , quality bottles and a monster of a yeast strain as well
Only $22 for a five pack here in Radelaide .
If you're stocking up on malts the golden promise or Marris otter are 2 of my go to imports but I also bought a sack of BB ale for $33.50 which is a solid performer as well but won't give the solid backbone on its own

Got these for now. Will stock up on the stuff recipes ask for when I pick up the grain.

Attachments

• WP_20170725_18_29_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170725_18_29_20_Pro.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 113
Well you've got a good assortment there fleabag that'll keep you going easily for your first sack a grain and beyond heck that'd keep me stocked for a year!:)

Back