Brew Competitions?

ChilliMayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
Im going to Dallas TX for two weeks in May.Flying over from Ireland.
I always fancied seeing how my brew would go done with people in the States.
Does anyone know if there are any Home brew competitions around that I could enter into?
I land May 12th. :cool:

Entering three in the Dillon Dam Brewery's homebrew contest this weekend. Nowhere near Dallas, though.

ChilliMayne said:
Flying over from Ireland.
I've thought about taking some of my beer when travelling but haven't tried it because I'm worried about the bottles surviving the flight - particularly if they're in the hold.

Let us know if they make it in one piece. Anyone else flown with their beer?

TSA here in the US does not like fluids on flights. Even things like toothpaste must be 3Oz or less.

LarryBrewer said:
TSA here in the US does not like fluids on flights. Even things like toothpaste must be 3Oz or less.
We've got similar restrictions here on fluids - hand luggage you're limited to 100ml or less.

I think 16oz/500ml bottles of beer would be OK in principle on a UK flight in the hold luggage (don't know about international). When I say in principle I mean they wouldn't list beer as a hazardous substance - but there might be other tax/customs/legal implications on trying to take home brew out of the country...

Having said all that, my main concern would be the bottles surviving all those ambient pressure changes.

JAMC said:
LarryBrewer said:
We've got similar restrictions here on fluids - hand luggage you're limited to 100ml or less.

I think 16oz/500ml bottles of beer would be OK in principle on a UK flight in the hold luggage (don't know about international). When I say in principle I mean they wouldn't list beer as a hazardous substance - but there might be other tax/customs/legal implications on trying to take home brew out of the country...

Having said all that, my main concern would be the bottles surviving all those ambient pressure changes.
Considering you can buy beer (and other alcoholic beverages) at just about every duty-free shop anywhere in the world....I don't think it should be much of a technical issue.
Taxation or restriction on "export", maybe. I do know that some states in the US have some really weird laws when it comes to transport over borders and such... :roll:

Planes are pressurized to 8,000'. I live at 6,000' and have drank my brews at well over 10,000'. Beers, if the bottles are protected from breakage, will survive a plane flight just fine as long as they're not over-carbonated.

I've seen these "bottle bags" (for lack of a better term), that you can put bottles into, normally liquor, that have air bags on them to protect your bottle during a flight. They have to be checked, but you're allowed to fly with them. You'd probably go over baggage weight limits pretty quickly though. You might check into shipping some beer over, and picking it up. Maybe even shipped on a boat... so no drastic pressure changes. Just a thought.

+1 to pretty much all of the last few comments, but the problem would be weight and space. I would think you'd have to have some pretty special beer, or be heading for a vacation or something that involved a competition, to want to take more than a couple bottles. If you can specifically ship by boat, good; but most carriers will go with air for any significant distances. I think your best bet would be to invest in Wonka-vision; that way you can send your beer through the TV.

Back