split a big brew

Markbrew65

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe that has just over 7kg of grain but use a robobrew.

That amount of grain is too much for the robobrew.

Was just wondering if splitting the brew to say 2x3.5kg grain and 15 lt strike water and 2 lt sparge. then do the brew twice and combine for the final boil.

would be a long brew day but possibly a way to do a big brew.

What are peoples thoughts on this ?

No matter what size system you have to do exactly that for bigger batches or normal size batches of extremely high gravity beer. Even craft breweries use this method. I know one local brewery with relatively large capacity has a 25 barrel mash tun/boiler system and 50 barrel fermenting tanks. Typical brew day is brew twice to fill a fermenter.
I just got a 15 gallon fermenter and I'm planning a double brew day so I can ferment 2 kegs of beer in one go instead of one. I won't do every batch like that, but for beers that I'd like to keep on tap more regularly I'd like a extra keg on hand. My wife really is happier with my brewing activities when I have her session Pale Ale ready and waiting for her. ;)

Last edited:
A converted cooler / esky mash tun would easily handle that much grain if you can do a single boil in your robobrew
What's the final volume into fermenter ?

The robobrew will handle the boil but its the large amount of grain that would be the issue.

Thanks for the tips folks.

I will either split the brew or replace some of the grain with some malt syrup.

Why not a reiterated mash then ?
Mash 1/2- 2/3 of the grain but don't mash out , remove malt pipe and dump spent grain then add remaining malt into your malt pipe to use the enzymes to convert last of the grain and a single boil

Back