Fermentation Paranoia

According to the article I read, botulism spores can survive boiling temps. The article states that unfermented wort provides good condition for the spores to grow. It's not likely they are there because it is so rare, but it could happen. I suppose the acid test is if your stored wort eventually killed someone with botulism, would you continue to store wort and run the risk again? That's a big pool of white jellybeans, right?

According to the article I read, botulism spores can survive boiling temps. The article states that unfermented wort provides good condition for the spores to grow. It's not likely they are there because it is so rare, but it could happen. I suppose the acid test is if your stored wort eventually killed someone with botulism, would you continue to store wort and run the risk again? That's a big pool of white jellybeans, right?
Stored wort is someone different from no-chill. If it were a problem there, it would be for conventional brewing. Haven't heard of a lot of botulism baused by beer.

There's only 20 cases of botulism per year overall. Not a lot of people homebrew. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't.

A member of our club is a Dr of biochemistry , he tells me there is a minute risk but drinks my beer anyway .
According to him the mash pH , long solid boil and my strict sanitation regime all add to almost nil risk .

Fresh wort kits are on sale at most homebrew stores here in Aus not sure about overseas HBS. So my understanding is their made using exactly the same technique as Mark just rack in your boiling wort into sanitatized cube bung lid on invert cube (my way of sterilising lid) let it cool and use as needed.

I take my hat off to the cubing dudes I had some very tasty cubed ales on the few I did. Water ain't an issue on the coast and I've got a healthy veggie patch that loves when I brew and chill with Imersion chiller;).

But @Mark D Pirate i hear that SA is getting a price hike in electricity I hear it's going to be highest priced electricity in the WORLD!:eek:
Yup , as of yesterday we had a massive price hike .
We did have a few operational coal fired power stations until recently but they were demolished 30 years sooner than expected to help SA meet its renewable energy targets .

Sadly this happened before the wind and PV generation capacity was up and running so there's already talk of nuclear reactors being built

I usually do not rush. I take the first gravity reading around day 20. If close to what the recipe says or better yet, the beer hit recipe FG, then it is time to dry hop, transfer to secondary or botlle. But you should not hurry a beer. If the beer tastes good, all carbed up on day 25, it will taste even better at day 35.

A member of our club is a Dr of biochemistry , he tells me there is a minute risk but drinks my beer anyway .
According to him the mash pH , long solid boil and my strict sanitation regime all add to almost nil risk .
That was my earlier point.

Mine too. We're not saying different things. Two different ways of saying plausible but not likely.

20 cases per year. Not in the homebrew world, but altogether. They just had a story of a guy who bought nachos at a gas station and died because the cheese sauce was infected. I doubt gas station nacho sales are down.

Back