Weighing hops

KenK

Trial Member
Reaction score
In case you lost or broke your scale (or don't have one, like me), here's how I figure hops for small batches. Pretty crude, but effective.

Attachments

• 1 oz.jpg
    1 oz.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 1-2 oz.jpg
    1-2 oz.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 1-4 oz.jpg
    1-4 oz.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 181
So you halved it then quartered it to get your amount you wanted good idea I suppose you know the total weight so a quarter of that should weigh a certain amount.

Much more scientific than my method. When I have a half ounce hop addition, I rip open the pack, hold what I think is half back, and dump in the rest!

Oh jeez ...that would make my brain itch !
All my hops are weighed to 0.1 g
Late additions I don't get as fussy but bittering charge is exact
Dry hops are sometimes whatever is left in packet

I have disposable hinkley and schmidtt cups that i have weighed n the past and now just eyeball.:)

Oh jeez ...that would make my brain itch !
All my hops are weighed to 0.1 g
Late additions I don't get as fussy but bittering charge is exact
Dry hops are sometimes whatever is left in packet
Dude, you can tell the difference down to a tenth of a gram?!? I'm in awe...

So you halved it then quartered it to get your amount you wanted good idea I suppose you know the total weight so a quarter of that should weigh a certain amount.
Kind of counting on the amount printed on the packet to be halfway accurate, I guess...

For what it's worth, I've found the bags I get are a little over an ounce if I have to weigh it out for multiple additions. YCH hops I believe

Yeah i weigh out all me hops but the digital scales i use arnt terribly accurate im more anal with measureing brewing salts

I hate to say it but I use a jewelery scale thats been calibrated to the gram which is what i set it at, even hop dust is weighed

Yeah, I already looked that up. Too many leading zeroes for me to worry about such an amount. Half an ounce is as low as I get. I'm not going to bother with amounts less than that! Round up to a half ounce, or round down to none.

If its working for you then why change , my batch size and the AA % of my bittering charge means I pay pretty close attention to it .
I'm usually trying to get 30% of my total IBU early and the rest as late addition for my APA / XPA

How do you folks store your unused leftover hops? Will they keep in a baggie in the fridge or freezer for a few weeks? Hops are pretty pricy around here -- $2-3 per ounce is pretty typical. I suppose I could always use the last half ounce for dry hopping or just toss it in at the end of the boil -- probably won't make much difference in a five gallon batch.

Back