Spent Grain Bread

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
ive made some bread out of yesterday's spent grain no roasted grains in there so thought it'd be a perfect grist to get a bread going. What does everyone else's recipes look like? I searched the web for some ideas but the recipes had too much going on for my liking sorta like my grain bills. So I threw together my own recipe relying on my sourdough bread making days to get the right feel for consistency. I went

400g spent grain.
400g plain flour.
2teasppons plain salt.

20g bakers yeast
80g DME
400ml water

Method
I mixed the yeast, DME and Water together first. I then dumped in the spent grain and flour and mixed adding flour for a wet dough consistency (remember it will firm up more as you knead and get the glucose going).
I wacked this in an oiled bowl and left it in a warm area to rise. I went and played golf in the meantime and I arrived home to find the dough had jumped out the bowl and oozed all over the place.
Next step I shapped it up preheated the pizza stone to max 220c slapped her on there for half hour then reduced heat to 180 for another half hour.
Of course use the fork or scure to check inside is cooked.

I flicked some photos in for youse to see. The bread is pretty rich nice crunchy crust it didn't rise As much as I wanted oh and maybe just one teaspoon of salt it's not overly salty but it's there.
All in all not bad bread try it.

Photos are from start to finish.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 203
I would eat that, well done trialben
Yeah its quite ritch bread great with a bit of butter i recon great dipping bread for a hearty stew;).

A few attempts at this and im sure id get a reasonable bread going

Great looking bread, I am going to have to give that a try. Does the spent grain add much flavor or is it on the bland side? I would guess it adds great texture.

looks good Ive made it before, mine turned out dense and dry and needed more salt

Back