I brewed today!

I brewed my second attempt at a scotch ale. I struggled the whole time with wind and things just going crappy. I really hope this beer turns out right. If it does it will be the biggest beer I have made to date.
Nothing a bit of cheeky DME won't fix eh:)?

I brewed me hop test bitter double docoction style weather man said it was going to rain all day but I live in the Sunshinecoast so I should of known better :rolleyes:. 61/2 hours lots of dicking around and brew day is done I'll definitely try this decoction style again but for now I'm an infusion mash man;). I'm looking forward to this Equinox brew though I smelt some new hop smells drifting from me kettle today especially that FWH I couldn't stop breathing deep whiffs of it mmmm hops yumm.

Brewed a San Francisco Steam this afternoon. All went as planned and beer is in the fermenter.

bottled my Belgian IPA today, WLP500 whoops ass, over 85% attenuation every time I've used it. This beer was expected at 7.75%, turned out at 8.4%ABV

bottled my Belgian IPA today, WLP500 whoops ass, over 85% attenuation every time I've used it. This beer was expected at 7.75%, turned out at 8.4%ABV
Just curious what did you decide for hops with this IIPA? They should mask that alcohol some.

Just curious what did you decide for hops with this IIPA? They should mask that alcohol some.

Simcoe FWH = 32 IBUs
Simcoe @ 20 = 18 IBUs
Citra @ 5 = 20 IBUs
Mosaic Whirlpool = 37 IBUs

then I chucked in the leftover simcoe after it cooled down, so I think this is around 100 on the calculator

Simcoe FWH = 32 IBUs
Simcoe @ 20 = 18 IBUs
Citra @ 5 = 20 IBUs
Mosaic Whirlpool = 37 IBUs

then I chucked in the leftover simcoe after it cooled down, so I think this is around 100 on the calculator

Yummy, have been drinking a Belgian IPA with magnum, centennial, citra, cascade then centennial dry hop. Very strong citrus that actually goes with the Belgian style yeast. Used T-58. Hope the wlp500 works well for ya. I really like that yeast.

bottled another batch tonight.

Imperial Hefeweizen this time. 40/40/20 on Pilsner/Wheat/Oats, Mittlefruh and Mosaic whirlpooled, hit 1069 on brewday and double pitched WLP300, the yeast kicked ass and it even blew off my blowoff tube cork.

it dropped way down to 1.012, which is pretty high attenuation for wlp300. However, that reading is taking into account the extra priming sugar in the solution, and the colder temperature of the sample. So I'm guessing it's more around 1010 or 1009, equalling somewhere between 8.1 - 8.25% ABV.

Brewing inside in a rain storm, this is my blond concentrate that I mix with water, using my yeast starter pot, very slow but hey not going anywhere, I think were under a tornado watch too
WP_20170527_001.jpg

Last edited:
There are worse things to do in a wild storm hey at least the brewing will keep you calm;).

Finally, after over a month, I can brew a batch! Working on "Das Helles-Projekt" this time brewing a Helles with Golden Promise. Reading about helles a while back, I came upon an idea that the certain something in actual German Pilsners and Helles might just be something a lot simpler than low O2, hence this project. In the article the author mentioned that none of the German brewers were using Weyermann malts. For the most part, they had their own suppliers. So I'm looking forward to doing the Helles Projekt with two local malts: Colorado Malting Company Pale Ale and Root Shoot Pale Ale. For some reason, I can't believe German brewing relies on magic. I'll eliminate the malt first.

one tip if you've never used golden promise before its a sweeter tasting grain than Ive ever used, I had to up my ibu's a bit to compensate but its a really good grain and I hate to say it but Ill never go back to my Weyermann malts after tasting this

the big difference where I live though is $20 a bag higher for Golden promise, I guess you get what you pay for ;)

Last edited:
one tip if you've never used golden promise before its a sweeter tasting grain than Ive ever used, I had to up my ibu's a bit to compensate but its a really good grain and I hate to say it but Ill never go back to my Weyermann malts after tasting this

the big difference where I live though is $20 a bag higher for Golden promise, I guess you get what you pay for ;)
That's true. For now, I'm brewing as close as possible to the same beer with all the base malts I can get my hands on. The two I mentioned also have a vastly different, I'd say brighter, flavor than the Weyermann pilsner malt. And dang it, it's getting ready to rain in my kettle. Gets too strong, I'll move it inside and finish the boil later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewed 2 beers today. A "Weed Feed and Mow" cream ale for out in the garden. And an exbeerimental "Area 51"IPA (batch# 151) with 100 ibu's of Warrior for bittering and homegrown Cascade and Centennial for aroma. So far they fit together but will dry hop with those 2 also about day 5 and 9 during fermentation. Even used some C-60 to try and get the big bitter and the citrus to mix and I think it helped.:) Should cut the dust out of your throat at the end of a day, if the cream doesn't.

And dang it, it's getting ready to rain in my kettle. Gets too strong, I'll move it inside and finish the boil later.

Rain water ale is not part of the Project?

Glad to hear that. After staying cold all spring, this week it decided to hit mid 80's to lower 90's and stay there. Had to fire up the old swamp cooler for brew day!

Back