Kegerator question

MadScienter

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've converted my mini fridge to a kegerator (as pictured in my profile pic). Basically, I just bent the freezer-shelf/cooling unit down, modified the door panel, and stuck a corny keg and CO2 bottle in there. I've since got my hands on a free tower (minus a few parts), and intend on installing it on the kegerator.

Here's my question: by the time I put a tower cooling fan in there, and eventually another keg, I'm going to be out of room. I was looking at it and had an idea... can you cut off the cooling shelf just inside the fridge, leave the "stems" as long as possible, and then solder on some copper tubing to use as the cooling element? I'm picturing a spiral shape against the ceiling of the fridge.

I realize the system would need to be recharged, but I THINK that's do-able. Anybody know enough about these little fridges to know if that would work? It would definitely create a lot more space in there. Or possibly know a better way to replace that cooling shelf, maybe from the back of the fridge or something. I really don't know, and I can't find any info on it. Thanks!!

Given how complex that sounds... you might be better off just buying another unit, or consolidating to a bigger unit.

yea, you're probably right @LarryBrewer. I've actually got a big old kegerator I'm using for crash-cooling with the tower hole plugged up, but I like the size of this little one for indoors. I'm kinda hoping somebody will say, "yea! that's what I did! here's a step by step tutorial, with pictures!"

What, it could happen!

Yes, it can be done. However said first you must determine the refrigerant used in the unit (should be on a label) and if it is 134a things get a lot easier (134a can be purchased at any auto store). 1/4 inch tubing should be about the right size, but the joints should be silver soldered for maximum strength (an idle system can have pressures well over 100 psi on the low pressure side). Next you would have to try and get the length of tubing nearly the same as the original evaporator, and install a service port. Once it is back together it would have to be vacuumed down, and then recharged. The kicker is overall efficiency will most likely be reduced by a considerable amount, and cost to complete if you don't have A/C tools will quickly exceed that of a new unit.

So sort answer is Yes, long answer is only if you want to spend some money and time, and end up with a sub-par unit. But if you are like me, proof of concept is some times worth the money :D.

Get a bigger fridge that can hold more kegs. That's where you will end up anyway. Two kegs leads to four which leads to nine. Its the natural progression of life. Don't fight it. Go with it.

I'm with Chessking
Use it without bastardizing it. In the future u could always use it as a bottle fridge for under the bar.

My personal experience also says that a tower setup is a PITA.

I built a 4 tap tower set up and eventually ended up tearing the thing apart and putting a collar on. Even with a fan, it's difficult to keep the tower cold enough, so your 1st pour is always foamy and you'll end up cleaning the beer lines more often.

Again, this is just my personal experience so YMMV
Brian

Thanks all! I appreciate the input. I think I'll just leave it alone and spend my time and money on more batches of brew!!

Back