2 days and no activity

Conservidave

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewed a batch of cream ale sunday and pitched 1 1/2 packets of US-05. So here it is tuesday afternoon
and nary a bubble from the fermenter. I started out around 62 degrees, this morning i moved the fermenter
and now im sitting at 68 degrees. If i dont have anything by morning im repitching but how much should i go with?

Dave,

Another pack wouldn't hurt after 3-4 days. US-05 usually starts in under 24, sometimes 12 for me.

Did you re-hydrate when you initially pitched? There is a lot of debate about re-hydrating dry yeast. I personally do it, in about 8oz of water, but I make sure the water is around 85F and not any higher.

I'll bet you a six pack it's perking tomorrow. It was too cold.

(I made same mistake)

Krimbos said:
I'll bet you a six pack it's perking tomorrow. It was too cold.

I am with Krimbos, Let it go and it will do its thing. I have never had to pitch more than one packet with US-05 and always had activity within 24 hours, although I normally hold mine at 68.

Now it's getting even more bizarre....Still no activity this morning so i pulled the lid and found there there is a thick foamy krausen head on top, but why no activity from the air lock? I did rehydrate the yeast and assume it was at room temp, but i didn't check since it had been a couple of hours since i had boiled the water and the cup didn't feel anywhere near warm. I am going to get another air lock and check gravity before repitching but this has me baffled at this point.

Give me 3 beers and we will call it even.

You have krauesen but no airlock activity? There's a leak somewhere else, then. Likely around the stopper. Slop some soap solution around the stopper and I bet you get bubbles.

There is a product called 'keg lube', no joke, that will help seal the opening. It is a sticky wax paste. It comes in a plastic container that looks like chewing tabaco.

Bungs can sometimes go bad and have to be tossed.

Glad to hear the yeast were working away the entire time! RDWHAHB :cool:

Krimbos said:
Sounds like you need a carboy

+1

Buckets; can't trust em when it comes to gauging activity. Not to say carboys are better, but I least I can have a look without opening it up.

Nosybear said:
You have krauesen but no airlock activity? There's a leak somewhere, Likely around the stopper

Thats it, broken rubber gasket sealing the air lock on the lid. I should look into getting a carboy and a pair of
glasses. Thanks all.

Back