Nottingham Yeast no activity

Guys, thanks for your input. It really helps. I will wait until tomorrow probably and see what happened. The worst case I will add 1/3 of the slurry to the new batch or transfer the unfermented to the new one.
I use some time ago Nottingham on another recipe and indeed was great. It never happened to me such a slow start. Anyway, hope dies the last. At the end it's not a huge lost anyway, but it is good to know what was the cause to correct in the future. I'll keep updated on this issue.

Cheers,

Hi ALL,

Good news. The yeast start working late last night (more than 24 hours later). Until today it just start working as supposed to work. The reason i am thinking of the slow start it's the oxigenation of the worth that might not be enough (shake of the barrel). This is the only thing I am thinking might be the reason.
Anyway, thanks all for the good input. I'll let you know how the beer came out.

Cheers,

Hi ALL,

Good news. The yeast start working late last night (more than 24 hours later). Until today it just start working as supposed to work. The reason i am thinking of the slow start it's the oxigenation of the worth that might not be enough (shake of the barrel). This is the only thing I am thinking might be the reason.
Anyway, thanks all for the good input. I'll let you know how the beer came out.

Cheers,
When i shake my fermentor for oxygen i shake it like it owes me money. I sit it on the edge of a chair or milk crate so its right on the balance point and adgetate the bejesus out of it for a minute or two. Seems to work alright

not trying to rain but you realize that all depends on the air in your head space, if you have a very small head space not enough air shakes into the beer and another twist air is not oxygen, its only a small part of h20

not trying to rain but you realize that all depends on the air in your head space, if you have a very small head space not enough air shakes into the beer and another twist air is not oxygen, its only a small part of h20
Mate remember we ferment in buckets over here carboys are catching on but there is plenty head space above wort.

I aerate my wort before it hits the FV , I cube my wort and drain half in from a decent height and then shake the cube like an English nanny ....works OK for me :)

I shake my carboy with a dry airlock on it. If air is going into the wort, more air is coming in behind it. Many times, I see bubbles within 12 hours.

When i shake my fermentor for oxygen i shake it like it owes me money. I sit it on the edge of a chair or milk crate so its right on the balance point and adgetate the bejesus out of it for a minute or two. Seems to work alright
Very similar, but on an old rug on the basement floor. Last beer started fermenting in 4 hours and finished within 2 points of target FG at 48 hours.

Ive been curious to see weather there is any one who has tried a drop of olive oil in fermentor somthing in the oil gives the yeast somthing that is similarto airation lipids i think its called. Kia has it on his brew blog brewkaiser .com weird eh?

Hi guys,

Actually I did another batch and use slurry (calculated from Mr.Malty) instead. At the temperature of 18 celsius it started fermenting within 30 hours. I am guessing that the starting temperature might be. Because I shake the fermenter like crazy. Before I guess it was a little bit higher temperature maybe, for that the fast start of yeast.
Just another annotation to the post: I am brewing at 2500m, high altitude, kind of dry air in here. We are in a desert basically (Arequipa, Peru). Maybe this is another thing that should help someone. Maybe I need to shake ore the fermenter.
Anyway, it's a 20L and I am using only 11L.

Cheers,

Ive been curious to see weather there is any one who has tried a drop of olive oil in fermentor somthing in the oil gives the yeast somthing that is similarto airation lipids i think its called. Kia has it on his brew blog brewkaiser .com weird eh?

I've read about the olive oil, but never tried it myself.

Hi guys,

Actually I did another batch and use slurry (calculated from Mr.Malty) instead. At the temperature of 18 celsius it started fermenting within 30 hours. I am guessing that the starting temperature might be. Because I shake the fermenter like crazy. Before I guess it was a little bit higher temperature maybe, for that the fast start of yeast.
Just another annotation to the post: I am brewing at 2500m, high altitude, kind of dry air in here. We are in a desert basically (Arequipa, Peru). Maybe this is another thing that should help someone. Maybe I need to shake ore the fermenter.

Cheers,
I'm at 1,600 m, also very dry. Doesn't seem to be a factor in how long it takes the yeast to start! You will have less oxygen in the wort due to lower pressure but they brew here in Leadville, CO - 10,200' above sea level, or 3,110 meters - with no problem.

I'm at 1,600 m, also very dry. Doesn't seem to be a factor in how long it takes the yeast to start! You will have less oxygen in the wort due to lower pressure but they brew here in Leadville, CO - 10,200' above sea level, or 3,110 meters - with no problem.
Good to know. Thanks,

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Maybe the lower oxygen level in the atmosphere the air is thinner the higher up you go I hear so less oxygen would get disolved in your wort by the shake rattle and roll method. Probably pure O2 would be the go but I don't use this as its exy and shaking seems to work for me.

Back