Stumped on a Rye Amber - Any Help is Appreciated!

Reaction score
So I have 2oz of Willamette, 1oz of Magnum, and 2oz of Fuggles to play with (if necessary) and I came up with the idea of a Willamette forward Rye Amber around 4.5-5.5% but I can't for the life of me come up with a simple styled recipe. I never did an amber like this so I am asking for help haha. I was thinking if a little Munich is involved replace that with rye? I'm looking for spicy from the rye to compliment the Willamette. Like a hop forward spicy rye Alt or something if that makes sense. 04, Windsor, or 05 for yeast id what I have in the fridge to use.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Maybe this?

6.5 lbs 2-row Pale - 2 lb Rye - 1 lb Caramel 60? .5oz Magnum for 60, 1oz Willamette for 15, 1oz Willamette for 2 mins? 04 for yeast?

50:50 rye:munich will get you to an amber color but will get a stuck mash if you're not BIAB. I use those together and they do work (I go up to 75% rye).

If you're not doing BIAB you can use 5% C-90, max 20% Rye, and the rest Pale.

50:50 rye:munich will get you to an amber color but will get a stuck mash if you're not BIAB. I use those together and they do work (I go up to 75% rye).

KC this mix looks interesting to me and im BIAB. What hops would go with this 50/50 mix spicy comes to mind.

Love the Willamette idea. I've been thinking of a Magnum/Willamette IPA and your post makes me realize that a little Rye in the mix may be a great idea.;)

Maybe this?

6.5 lbs 2-row Pale - 2 lb Rye - 1 lb Caramel 60? .5oz Magnum for 60, 1oz Willamette for 15, 1oz Willamette for 2 mins? 04 for yeast?

I like this^^^, but I'd defnitely use less C-60. Add in some Munich/Dark Munich for malt and color, keep a touch of 60 for rich caramel flavor and add a pinch of Special B to get to the right color. Low mash temp and plenty of aeration to get S-04 to attenuate well for you. If it was me, I'd do a low-gravity blonde on the 04 and pitch on the cake.

Hopping looks about right, though I'd use the ounce of Willamette at flameout and allow plenty of time while it's cooling to get lots of good aroma for you.
Good luck!

Last edited:
KC this mix looks interesting to me and im BIAB. What hops would go with this 50/50 mix spicy comes to mind.

If going in the spicy direction, the Willamette suggestions are a good start. I've had good results blending that with Cascade. A little bit of something earthy like Fuggle could also work well with Rye.

Love the Willamette idea. I've been thinking of a Magnum/Willamette IPA and your post makes me realize that a little Rye in the mix may be a great idea.;)

I like this^^^, but I'd defnitely use less C-60. Add in some Munich/Dark Munich for malt and color, keep a touch of 60 for rich caramel flavor and add a pinch of Special B to get to the right color. Low mash temp and plenty of aeration to get S-04 to attenuate well for you. If it was me, I'd do a low-gravity blonde on the 04 and pitch on the cake.

Hopping looks about right, though I'd use the ounce of Willamette at flameout and allow plenty of time while it's cooling to get lots of good aroma for you.
Good luck!

^^^Which ounce for flame out? At the 15 or 2 min mark? And I think you are right about the Crys 60 maybe I'll switch .5 pound Crys 60 .5 pound of Munich.

Reactions: J A
And I think you are right about the Crys 60 maybe I'll switch .5 pound Crys 60 .5 pound of Munich.

I've been influenced by my anti-Crystal brewing buddies lately and have been using little to none in most beers. Just keeping the percentage as low as possible should be a good compromise.

Last edited:
Well I want some if not a little more in there to offset the spicy rye, and hops. A good Amber has a little of that sweetness. IPA, yeah I hear ya maybe a little Crys 10 or 20 if anything.

Reactions: J A
She looks the goods there tar and feather em I'd say it will turn out pretty nice I'd definitely donate my Fermentor for it :p.

:O 75% Rye? Isn't that punch to the face followed by a knee to the balls strong?

I like that malt bill! Yes let me know I will be brewing mine by the weekend.

Just checked the gravity this morning and threw some in the fridge to get an idea of what it would be like clear.
It is about the colour I was hoping for, I hope it brightens up a little bit more but other than that great.
It's tasting pretty damn good too and still got 25grams of Citra to go in :) hope this helps a little bit

20170427_135309.jpg 20170427_135314.jpg 20170427_135303.jpg

:O 75% Rye? Isn't that punch to the face followed by a knee to the balls strong?
It's just rye malt, it's not an 18% AA hop. Super thick and heavy though. Pours like motor oil.

So if anyone cares this one has been hanging in the secondary. Maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks till ready my kegs are all currently occupied.

Back