1020 Curse

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's been a while, but it hit me. I recently made a SMaSH with Golden Promise and Lemondrop. The beer was a hit, so I brewed it again last week. The recipe shows dropping from 1.051 to 1.009. My first batch went from 53 to 11. Last week's batch went from 59 to 20. And as I write this post, I guess it's not as bad as I think! Nothing else to talk about here. I guess I'll hit Submit instead of Cancel.

we have all had that at least once, I guess you know the drill. worm it up swirl or add sugar before, you could have lost the yeast out the air lock or tube, I like the beer im guessing its refreshing

It's been a long time since I've pumped anything through the airlock. Knock on wood, but my krausen has room in the carboy!

Ive done this before and it worked take a glass of distilled water ad a tablespoon of both sugar and yeast nutrient, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, cool it back down in the freezer then add to the carboy and swirl 2 or 4 times

That combo sounds great!! I'm guessing areation may be an issue so it's hard to get the yeast to go again if they've run out of O2 to work with. Pitching a new starter like Ozark says will be the best bet.
You didn't mention how long it's been in the fermenter or what yeast. Maybe it'll kick off with just a temp raise and swirl.

A week on S-05. Actually, I don't intend to do anything with it. It'll be in secondary a couple weeks until its turn comes to be kegged.

It really is a good beer. Lemon flavor, but not like a shandy. Great beer to drink after mowing the lawn.

Reactions: J A
A week on S-05. Actually, I don't intend to do anything with it. It'll be in secondary a couple weeks until its turn comes to be kegged.

It really is a good beer. Lemon flavor, but not like a shandy. Great beer to drink after mowing the lawn.

US-05 always runs down pretty hard within a week. Low temp? Is it floc'ing yet?

I've got a Saison with Sorachi Ace and a lot of Lemon Drop kegged right now...It may be the best beer I've come up with. I made a similar beer but with just an ounce of LD in dry hop. This time I added 2 ounces late and an ounce in dry hop. It's pretty incredible. Sorachi does a job on the flavor with lemon and a touch of dill and the LD puts a ton of crisp lemon/lemon blossom in the aroma.

S-05 almost always runs down pretty hard within a week. This is the first time in a long time that I've seen this. I'm just chalking it up to be a fluke. I'm not worried about it. It'll be in the secondary for a couple of weeks before kegging. It'll be drinkable, and I have lots of other beer. I almost didn't submit this thread when I noticed my starting gravity was 8 points higher to start, and 11 points higher to finish. But it's slow in the forum, and I like any discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Do you want someone to tell you to check your hydrometer?;)
I recon one of the most important pieces of equipment I own is a simple hydrometer and sample flask I can tell a lot by this tool how my yeast is going for one of course given my OGAnd FG and when she's Finnished or when to raise temp to encourage attenuation or in Jeffpn case when your Yeast are on STRIKE :p.

My brother is one of those guys who doesn't have a hydrometer in his kit!! I tell ya there is a saying here in Aus I guess it's known the world round here it is "ah she'll be right mate" well that don't apply to brewing lol.

Back