Beer bottles

ChilliMayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any links to buying beer bottles ?
Looking to have a style of bottle thats a little different. :ugeek:

Try local sushi restaurants for Kirin and Sapporo bombers.

You can get the standard stuff at any homebrew shop or website. I've been looking for liter crown-cap bottles. I'd even take quarts. Apparently they're not made here in the good ol' USA. Bummer.

I've always loved the bottle used by Viru, an Estonian lager producer.

Viru-New-bottle-Nov-2010.jpg

Very art deco. Maybe not the best shape if you're bottle conditioning, but it certainly stands out from the rest. Only one way to get hold of them though... ;)

Is there a particular style you're looking for, or just trying to find something outside the norm? My LHBS has pretty much the standard style, so not much that I see there. I was going to buy some empties and then realized, "hey, wait, I can buy bottles with beer in them, drink the beer, and then re-use the bottles." So if there's a bottle style you like that also happens to contain beer that you like, my suggestion is to buy plenty of it and enjoy it twice.

I got a few of these banana bread beer bottles from a friend that are different. the only problem is you'd have to drink banana bread beer... :shock:

Attachments

• wells_banana_bread_beer_500ml.jpg
    wells_banana_bread_beer_500ml.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,258
MadScienter said:
I got a few of these banana bread beer bottles from a friend that are different. the only problem is you'd have to drink banana bread beer... :shock:

I've tried it - It's not that bad. I think the banana flavour is more from a weizen yeast and maxing the banana esters with high temps than any actual bananas that might make their way into the kettle...

admittedly, i haven't tried it. sounded bad, but now I've gotta give it a chance. if nothing else, at least i'll get a cool bottle, right?!

Right!

If you can put a new crown cap on it, don't throw it away.

Cool looking bottles.

I personally purchased (and drank) a bunch of Spaten, mainly to save the bottles. I like the 1/2 Liter size - perfect for a full pint glass of home brew. Wish I had more of those, they are harder to come by here. There were a couple UK beers that come in stylish bottles too, only have a few of those. The real pain is not having a sturdy cardboard case to go with them. Ended up scrounging up some boxes from the local liquor store, but it is not a great fit.

In terms of 12oz bottles, Deschutes is my fav, they have a neat hop leaf pattern on them.

I've always loved the champagne style bottles like The Bruery uses, but the crown caps the use are actually bigger than normal bottles. I tried it once when i was bottling and didn't ever work.

Attachments

• Bruery_all-beers.jpg
    Bruery_all-beers.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 874
I like the little stubby 300ml bottles for my big beers. Dang it, means I have to drink a lot of Belgians to get them!

I like the look of the Red Hook bottles (plus their brew is pretty good), but any 12/11.2 oz bottle that will accept a standard crown cap works for me.

Attachments

• 2013-03-27_13-01-20_536.jpg
    2013-03-27_13-01-20_536.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 821
Thanks for all the comment lads!
I bought a dozen traditional ale bottles from my normal supplier.
But yes the common sense approach is to hold on to your favourite empties and use these.
I love the Belguim 33cl stubbies but the flip side is with such small volume there's bottles everywhere!!!
Thats what I loved about the 75cl flip top bottles , they contained a large volume and took up little space.
But with leaking gaskets destroying my priming efforts and causing embarrassment when sharing with friends Ive had enough!! :oops:

Was at the grocery store last night and noticed these bottles have cool shapes.

How about that bottle of Double Bastard??! :cool:

Attachments

• 2013-03-27 18.42.06.jpg
    2013-03-27 18.42.06.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 767
  • 2013-03-27 18.41.35.jpg
    2013-03-27 18.41.35.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 763
  • 2013-03-27 18.41.22.jpg
    2013-03-27 18.41.22.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 766
  • 2013-03-27 18.41.11.jpg
    2013-03-27 18.41.11.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 750
Dude, that Lucky Buddha bottle is awesome! And the lock and key on the Double Bastard is a pretty phenomenal touch as well. I'm not sure if it was my taste not being acclimated to it or what, but my only experience with DB was not a good one.

I'll conceed that the Baltika bottles look fairly stylish and unique, only problem is they're full of Baltika; which, in a cruel inversion of the parent company's well known phrase, is probably the worst lager in the world.

Back