Propane Burner

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i know it came up in some thread, but I couldn't find it after some searching.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a propane burner in the near future, so I can brew outside and do full volume boils. Son I'd need something that can boil about 7-8 gallons in a decent amount of time.

I remember Bayou burners came up, but don't remember which models.

I'd also like to spend less than $100 US if I can help it. Any ideas?

Please and thank you

Does it need to have a stand? Lots of bulk burners around amazon/academy if u want to DIY or convert your old stand with a bigger burner

this is what I have although mine isn't branded and was cheaper its the same thing

http://www.northernbrewer.com/dark-star-burner-2-0

41490-darkstar-2.0-1.jpg

I like the flame shield, thats a good idea

It also has brackets that you can adjust to fit your pot, which is a nice safety feature. Don't leave it outside though, mine (parts of the stand) got rusty pretty fast. I'm about to sand it and hit it with some hi-temp Rustoleum.

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

Regarding extended legs or a stand, do you find you need one? Is it really uncomfortable or dangerous to have it low to the ground?

The top of my stand is about 14" off the ground. Just don't use it on a wooden floor, you'll be fine.

LHBS was clearancing some older model Blichmann Engineering burners, the stainless steel ones with the really elaborate legs and flame shield. I brewed with it yesterday and had a wonderful experience: Despite wind, no blowouts. Jacked with my boil-off rate something fierce but I'm happy with it. I think the newer models are going for around $150 (the Blichmann Hellfire burner) but here in windy Colorado, worth the price.

LHBS was clearancing some older model Blichmann Engineering burners, the stainless steel ones with the really elaborate legs and flame shield. I brewed with it yesterday and had a wonderful experience: Despite wind, no blowouts. Jacked with my boil-off rate something fierce but I'm happy with it. I think the newer models are going for around $150 (the Blichmann Hellfire burner) but here in windy Colorado, worth the price.
I love my Blichmann Hellfire!

I have this one. it was on sale at Kmart for $30 when I bought it, which isn't bad for 100,00 BTUs I reckon. You can probably find it cheaper than 50 bucks if you look around.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-815-4005-S-Outdoor-LP-Gas-Cooker-Stand/161614581

UPDATE: Ebay has them for $35, $20 shipping to Ellicott City from Lancaster.

Reviews on amazon seem to be mixed, saying that sometimes they got only a yellow flame and had to either modify it a little or try to go through their customer service. But, those seem to be from a few years ago.
Any issues with yours?

Reviews on amazon seem to be mixed, saying that sometimes they got only a yellow flame and had to either modify it a little or try to go through their customer service. But, those seem to be from a few years ago.
Any issues with yours?
None at all! Perfectly "blue" flame (very hard to see, there was so little color in it). Got my wort to a boil in less than half the time of my old Bayou burner. Much quieter - there were times I thought it had gone out but once I got close, I knew otherwise. Only downside is it's hard to adjust down to where the boil isn't too vigorous.

Any issues with yours?

No problems yet. I get a nice blue flame from mine and it puts out a lot of heat. I haven't read the reviews, but I wonder if the people who posted the negative ones checked the air mixer. I get the best flame on mine when I have the mixer wide open.

I let somebody use mine (without supervision) for a crawfish boil recently. At one point he comes up to me and tells me that my burner doesn't work. I go outside to check it out, and see this other guy taking the whole thing apart to try to figure out the problem. I had this "WTF dude?" expression on my face, and he put it back together. I hooked up the tank and it fired right up. Turns out they had the regulator shut off. Then the guy goes down the street and gets his other friend's crawfish cooker that has 2 jet burners and ends up not even using mine.

I don't know the point of that story.

Back