Dry hopping in a keg

I dry hopped my pale ale with a couple ounces to experiment with a recipe and used a couple muslin bags. I only used an ounce per bag since the hop pellets will expand once hydrated. Just to be safe I boiled them then rinsed in star san then rinsed in water prior to adding them to the secondary. Beer turned out fantastic. The bags do float but theres enough hop contact with the beer that I didn't really see it as an issue.

No hop particals in your brew bro? That's how you know if muslin is holding it back. I think after some time it will sink to bottom just like in fermentor? That may be why the ball and string trick is used? I've not keg hopped just adding my rusty 2c :).

I swear by the paint strainer bag. I've had the muslin sucked into the dip tube no fun. The muslin Sean's to have to much loose fabric. Without a bag I've had particulates clog the tube. The paint strainer bags expand just right with one once firm but not tight. Sometimes I'll throw three bags in

Actually no issues at all in the secondary fermenter. I have not tried dry hopping my kegs yet. When I racked the beer to my keg I didn't have any particles at all sitting on the bottom of the fermenter. It was nice and clear. I will have to try the paint strainer bags. Thanks

Vegetal flavors are definitely hop variety dependent. Mosaic gets grassy after 2 weeks. Noble hops are definitely best suited for 4-7 days. then age them for another week or two and they mellow nicely.

Nylon muslin bag at any homebrew shop, dropped right in the keg. It floats on top and the hop particles settle down through. I only had an issue with clogging at the end of the keg when the bag was at the bottom.

Another nifty trick I heard was to stuff a bag of hops between the dip tube and keg wall, about 1/3-1/2 from the top. This way they stay put and then remove themselves as you drink. No risk of loose seal or accidental minting with floss.

Back