Recipies,your own or not!

All of the above.

A typical workflow for me on a new style is:
  • Brew recipe as found (unless it has a particular ingredient I really don't like)
  • Brew again with a few modifications
  • Brew yet again using an all new recipe of my own, learning from what I liked or didn't.
For instance, the Marzen currently in primary is my own recipe now (4th year), while the Wee Heavy carbing up in the keg is loosely based on a recipe I found a while back in BYO. My "House" IPA, due to be brewed in a couple of weeks, will also be from scratch mine.

My answer is nearly identical to this. I start with a recipe, adjusting for things that I KNOW will not like. For example, I usually adjust the amount or type of hops, and I often make some small adjustments in the specialty grains to adjust color. The second batch is usually a much greater variation on the original recipe. By the third batch, I would say that the brew has enough differences to be called "something new."

Last edited:
Make my own, but with a lot of research.

Ditto. Most authentic styles use very few ingredients limited to regional availability or basic economics. Their depth of flavor and other characteristics come from refined process control. Recipes are very simple, it's brew day that requires the most attention. It really bothers me to see published recipes that have 6-8+ malts but only a single mash rest.

When I develop a recipe, I start with the BJCP guidelines which include characteristic ingredients and history of the style. Then I do a little research into the region the style originated and determine what their typical brewing practices were and what ingredients were readily available to them. I formulate a recipe off both those aspects, then refine it to my tastes after a couple batches.

For example, I was looking into British beers and found a document from 1844 that described how the major maltsters and brewhouses operated in London at that time. Learned a lot about pale, brown, and patent malts, plus how they used first, second, third, and fourth runnings. Interesting to read they didn't like hop bitterness and only added them for 10-20 minutes of a 30-45 minute boil.

I third BYO you can get some conflicting information out there that can leave you confused o_O.
Two brewers, three opinions. .. There are always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. I've found quite a bit of BYO's stuff to be recycled but their style guides are hard to beat.

There's still a lot to be said for actually tasting a particular style before trying to brew it .
If most of you tried to brew an Australian sparkling ale without having tasted a fresh example you'd really have no idea how close you got .
Same applies with me trying a NEIPA , I have nothing to compare it to without actually flying over and trying them at the source .
Many of the true German lagers do not present well once they travel here

Ditto. Most authentic styles use very few ingredients limited to regional availability or basic economics. Their depth of flavor and other characteristics come from refined process control. Recipes are very simple, it's brew day that requires the most attention. It really bothers me to see published recipes that have 6-8+ malts but only a single mash rest.

When I develop a recipe, I start with the BJCP guidelines which include characteristic ingredients and history of the style. Then I do a little research into the region the style originated and determine what their typical brewing practices were and what ingredients were readily available to them. I formulate a recipe off both those aspects, then refine it to my tastes after a couple batches.

For example, I was looking into British beers and found a document from 1844 that described how the major maltsters and brewhouses operated in London at that time. Learned a lot about pale, brown, and patent malts, plus how they used first, second, third, and fourth runnings. Interesting to read they didn't like hop bitterness and only added them for 10-20 minutes of a 30-45 minute boil.
I did post this elswhere but if you are into old british beers or are interested just in the make up/recipie take a look here-
Let’s Brew Listing | half a cat
and here-
Shut up about Barclay Perkins

I did post this elswhere but if you are into old british beers or are interested just in the make up/recipie take a look here-
Let’s Brew Listing | half a cat
and here-
Shut up about Barclay Perkins
Thanks. That's a lot of specific detail for old London beers. Currently looking into pre-Napoleonic Russian export Burton Ales, ideally 1796-1802 after rebuilding from the floods and earthquakes. Would like to see documentation from 1852-1854 when the Burton breweries opened their doors to scientific investigators. Outside the target time period but many of the brewing processes are probably the same.

Thanks. That's a lot of specific detail for old London beers. Currently looking into pre-Napoleonic Russian export Burton Ales, ideally 1796-1802 after rebuilding from the floods and earthquakes. Would like to see documentation from 1852-1854 when the Burton breweries opened their doors to scientific investigators. Outside the target time period but many of the brewing processes are probably the same.
Ron Pattinson (the Barclay Perkins guy) has a book out as well with some historical recipes, largely British but with a few others in there.

There's still a lot to be said for actually tasting a particular style before trying to brew it .
If most of you tried to brew an Australian sparkling ale without having tasted a fresh example you'd really have no idea how close you got .
Same applies with me trying a NEIPA , I have nothing to compare it to without actually flying over and trying them at the source .
Many of the true German lagers do not present well once they travel here
Absolutely.... That's why I'm partial to extinct "styles." No one knows what they tasted like. A lot of American beer styles died out with the madness that was Prohibition (we've been stoopid at other times in our history, too). I find I like to brew them. Granted, I'm using modern ingredients so they're not exactly true to style. They generally are simple beers (the kind I like) suited to the circumstances at the point in time and place.

Wide world of beer out there , I've only really even attempted a few styles I know and enjoy and the odd experimental brew but mostly simple beers ( no fruits or extra adjuncts )
I may branch out a bit further once I'm certain my processes are sound

"I may branch out a bit further once I'm certain my processes are sound"

Good plan.

Wide world of beer out there , I've only really even attempted a few styles I know and enjoy and the odd experimental brew but mostly simple beers ( no fruits or extra adjuncts )
I may branch out a bit further once I'm certain my processes are sound
I have experimented with fruit. Did a blackberry stout which was really good,a raspberry wheatbeer which i wasn't overkeen on but others liked and have just finished a Kiwi wheat beer which is a little sharp:eek: but tasty:)
Intend on trying a mango beer at some point

I do my own recipes. The first one was an IPA, which turned out pretty well for a first time brewer.

OG 1.070 / FG 1.015 / 7.2 % ABV

It is know sitting in a glass demijohn, waiting for the dry hop charge. The recipe can be seen here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/465210/kashmeere-ipa

I am using the Grainfather and had troubles with this particular brew, as the bottom filter came out two times, at which point, I had to empty the wort and then boil again. Two times, but the beer turned out great.

I think it is much more exciting to do your own recipes.

"I may branch out a bit further once I'm certain my processes are sound"

Good plan.
My APAs have always been good , recently changed some equipment and moved to no chill brewing to save water / time / $$.
Current IPA is actually more bitter than expected ! will see how it settles down in bottles with some time but these are the things i need to really nail down , Particularly my hop forward beers
Newer fermenting fridge has room for 2 drums so at least i can run 2 ferments at a time to build stocks back up

Back