How long does your hombrew last?

How long on average does your hombrew last?

• Total voters
Okay, maybe I missed it above: Define what you mean by "last". If you're talking how long it takes to drink, depends on the batch size and how good it is. If you're talking shelf life, that's something else. Heck, I could even interpret the question as how long does it take to drink a pint. Specificity, folks! :)
Just to be certain the whole idea of the thread is to get a rough average on how long your homebrewed beer lasts from bottleing/Kegging till drinking the very last drop:). Average being the most consistent time frame of course a Russian Imperial Stout is going to take longer to drink than an Kolcsh:p. I recon so far my average is 6-7 weeks to kick a keg I brew mainly light beers BTW. Cheers

i do give quite a bit away and it varies on style and weather .
I've had a batch of my house pale all be gone in a month from bottling day and i've got stout here over a year old .

Average would be 5-6 weeks at an estimate , football season is starting up again and it's my job to bring a tasty beer to share on game nights

Well when there is more mouths to feed I'm sure that brew turnaround will be quick!

Going by the poll here it looks pretty wide spread across the spectrum it seems it all vairies quite abit how quick we get through our hombrew.

Next poll: how many different grains and hops.

I probably drink about 120-150oz of my beers per week, which would translate to about one Corny every 4 or 5 weeks. But it doesn't work that way around here, because I generally have four or five different beers on tap at any time, and I drink them at different rates. A keg of Barleywine or Imperial Stout might last a year or two, because I don't drink them that often and I seldom have more than one at a time. But a keg of Irish red will seldom last more than a month or so, because it usually becomes my "primary beer" when it is available, and I seldom drink only one on the days/nights that I pick it.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
I assume shorter or longer options mr mentor?

I'd assume that the question is based on when the 5 gallon keg is 1st tapped and ready to drink. That being said, a lower ABV beer ~4.5% in the summer may last 2 weeks. A higher ABV beer ~7.5-8% may last 2 months.
I currently have a 12% barley wine that's been on tap for 1.5 years.
I didn't vote because there are so many variables but on average, 3-4 weeks would be a good estimate.
Cheers
Brian

So you condition your brews in the keg for a month or so KC or you leave in Primary for some time till you rack to keg? Is there a reason for this (largering) or that's just your general keg rotation. I've met plenty of kit and kilo bottle Brewers who are the same and don't begin to drink a brew past 3 months.

This is a combination of me preferring my beers aged and making a lot of smaller batches.

I don't like trub in the keg so after primary and/or lagering I rack and condition in a carboy for at least a month before kegging. Then the sixtel usually sits for a couple months until I get an open tap, then another week force carbonating. I have a lagered apple cider that's been chilling since 2015 and hasn't been tapped yet.

My bottled beers are conditioned for at least 4 weeks to ensure full carbonation. Flavor stability takes another couple months. I don't mind the wait, I've always got another dozen or so different styles pipelined and available to drink.

Iam a newby here so a keg can last me anywhere from a month to 3 months I am the only one that drinks beer in the house . So that's why it will last me so long also depends on having the extra funds to get the ingredients to make a batch.

Back