Oops forgot the Irish Moss

I wanted to try whirlfloc but forgot to add it during boil. Do you suppose I could boil a tablet in a quart of water, cool it, and then add it to the fermenter 'after the fact'? Or would this screw up the whole five gallons? Just brewed yesterday so the fermenting isn't active yet.

It wouldn't hurt it, but I think it'd be a waste of time. Speaking of time, that would accomplish the same effect. This is one of those times where the correct answer to your concern is RDWHAHB. If the worst thing that happened to this batch is a lack of whirlfloc, it'll be great!

it would mess up your fermentation, don't, just add gelatin if you need to after the beer is fermented and chilled

The consensus seems to be to not mess with it. First couple of batches were a little hazy but tasted great so hopefully this batch (a pale ale) won't disappoint. This site rocks -- thanks you guys!

Yea don't freek out your brews and your brew schedule will get better with time. Practice makes perfect ;).

Don't stress !
These days I pre weigh all my hop additions into Tupperware type containers and add the whirlfloc with my 10 min addition .
Thinking about buying a vac sealer so I can do several brews worth and just snip the bag as needed

I quit using Irish moss altogether. Had some issues with proteins separating and floating to the top in the fermenter especially if I was brewing with adjuncts like corn or rice , stopped using it problem solved! I use gelatin and cold crashing to clear my beer works great no issues. JMHO

How are these proteins even getting into the FV ? are you just tipping whole kettle in trub and all ?
I did a few batches with all crud in FV and beer turned out just fine but now i keep it out

Back