First Wort calculation on BF...?

Reaction score
According to what I've been reading the first addition of hops at "first wort" to kettle as opposed to adding at start of boil for 60 min. Should add about 10% to the IBU calculation but a "softness" to the hop flavoring according to some. But when entering a hop addition as "First Wort". Instead of Boil for 60 min. The BF program calculated the IBUs way lower... Am I missing something here or is there a bug in the program ??

From the FAQ:

Time - how long the hops will be boiled in minutes:
This field is only applicable to boiled hops and aroma hops (though a low time is usually specified for aroma hops).
For Dry Hops the time field turns to days - eg the number of days to soak the hops in the beer.
For Mashed Hops, the field is always blank and a value of 5 minutes is used for IBU purposes.
For First Wort Hops, the field is always blank and a value of 20 minutes is used for IBU purposes.

My understanding is that we are changing this- to be 60 minutes (or however long the boil is) + 10%, to better estimate the IBUs. I'll check with the developer again and see where I am with that.

This is a bit frustrating - I keep (almost) underestimating my IBUs. Please fix!

I'm so sorry for this delay. It's not a good excuse but the guy who had it fixed (he said) apparently did not, and then for other reasons as well, he's no longer with Brewer's Friend. We are getting it fixed, and have a new guy on board who is working on these things to bring us back up to speed. This has been frustrating for sure!

Back