New Holland Mad Hatter IPA Clone

cdbreez

Trial Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, trying to do a BIAB clone of this beer. On New Hollands web site info on this beer is:

Plato 16.3, IBU 55, 7% ABV Beer Style is Midwest IP
Grains are 2 row, Munich, Wheat, and Carapils
Hops are Citra, Cascade and Centennial
Yeast is American Ale
Dry Hop is Citra, Cascade and Centennial

I found an extract recipe and converted it to all grain on Beersmith that calls for:
12 lbs 2 Row
4 lbs Munich Malt 10L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Wheat

The extract recipe called for :
1oz Centennial at 60 min
1oz Cascade at 20 Min
1oz Citra at 5 min

Questions are:
What type of Wheat grain should be used? White?Flaked? etc.
Does the hop schedule look OK?
How much of each of the hops should I dry hop with?

Thanks!

you could use white wheat, its popular I prefer flaked, it has more flavor, hop schedule is fine but I wouldn't use 1 pound of carapils in a 5 gallon batch, too thick of a mouth feel, try 1/2 of a pound

Thanks for the info. By the way, what part of Missouri are you from? A few years ago, I worked in Springfield, Mo and lived in Marshfield.

X2 what Ozark says regarding the carapils. I'd go even less with wheat. I typically use 1/4 lb in a 5 gallon batch, depending on mash temps. Otherwise, I think your grain bill looks good. I think it's more than you need for a 7% beer unless your efficiency is fairly low.
White wheat (malt) is what most recipes mean when they say wheat. That will have it's own enzymatic action and help with conversion and attenuation. Flaked wheat will convert, but that much in an IPA will leave it a little thick in the mouthfeel. A little Flaked Wheat or Flaked Barley is great for a big IPA but you don't want to make it too creamy.
Good luck!

If it were me brewing!

12 lbs 9 oz 2 Row
4 lbs 3 oz Munich Malt 10L
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Wheat Malt

I really didn't elaborate but yes don't use a pound of flaked wheat either, white wheat is your best choice and cut the carapils to 1/4 and brew it, looks good

Thanks for the help everyone! So here's what I will probably use.

2 Row 11 1/2 lbs
Munich 3 1/2 lbs
White Wheat 1 lb
Carapils 4oz

Shooting for ABV between 7 and 7.5
I haven't nailed down my efficiency yet.

1oz Centennial at 60 min
1oz Cascade at 20 Min
1oz Citra at 5 min

Thinking I will use Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Mad Hatter is dry hopped with the same 3 boil hops.
Should I add an ounce of each for the dry hop?

Reactions: J A
yes that will work, good choice, and dry hopping with all will work too, try adding the dry hops while bubbling is down to one a minute or so and leave it for 5 days, it should be good, good luck

Yummie let me know when it's ready I'll bring my favourite beer mug round :D.

For me, that's a LOT of Munich malt. I like it, but I usually use more like 1 pound white wheat malt, no carapils (although you could use a bit if you want and our 4 ounces is fine), and maybe 1-2 pounds Munich malt. 1 pound if you want some malt backbone, 2 pounds if you want it to be pronounced in malt character. I haven't had that beer in about a year, but I don't recall it screaming MALTY to me.

Ok.\, for the hell of it I emailed New Holland brewery and asked them about their recipe for Mad hatter. I got a quick response about how their beer was brewed. They actually told me......Do breweries normally do this?

69.4% Canadian 2-Row
12.7% Best Dark Munich
05.7% Briess Carapils
06.5% Canadian White Wheat
05.7% Sugar (to help keep the finishing gravity low and therefore the beer drier)

Rest Temp: 151 F

Even went on to tell me the dry hop rate.

Well looks like that's a win for you mate put your brew hat on and go make it happen;).
I'm getting thirsty here:p

Ok.\, for the hell of it I emailed New Holland brewery and asked them about their recipe for Mad hatter. I got a quick response about how their beer was brewed. They actually told me......Do breweries normally do this?

69.4% Canadian 2-Row
12.7% Best Dark Munich
05.7% Briess Carapils
05.7% Sugar (to help keep the finishing gravity low and therefore the beer drier)

Yes, many breweries will give you the recipe if you ask nicely! Not the big ones like Red Hook but many others will.

Reactions: J A

69.4% Canadian 2-Row
12.7% Best Dark Munich
05.7% Briess Carapils

So how did it turn out? and if you don't mind what was the dry hop rate?

69.4% Canadian 2-Row
12.7% Best Dark Munich
05.7% Briess Carapils

Generally, craft breweries will. I've even had conversations with brewers at Coors and they'll tell you what they use, how much. It's a dirty little secret among accomplished brewers that the recipe is not nearly as important as the process and if I give you my recipe, you probably can't reproduce my beer because you do things differently. Hence my emphasis, when advising newbies, to work on process before recipe. Generally falls on deaf ears, though, and so I sigh, and brew.

Back