Recipe Feedback

MoshMan

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm wanting to brew something for spring time and was hoping for some feedback on my recipe. It doesn't seem to really fit any style but I'm thinking it could be really good. I normally do pale ales and IPA's or Porters/Stouts in the winter and this is my first go at a lighter, more refreshing brew.

Here is the recipe:
7 lbs American Pilsner
2 lbs American Vienna
2 lbs American Wheat
1 lbs Flaked Corn (hoping for a really strong head retention)

0.5 oz Cascade 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 30 min
2 oz Orange Zest 5 min

For the yeast I was going to use some Nottingham that I had for another brew that didn't happen. Right now will be the perfect time because I should be able to keep my fermentation temps around 60 which I've heard is good for this yeast type. Around 68 and up it can create off flavors but below it should come our very clean.

It should come out around 5.5%abv and about 20IBU's

What are your thoughts? I really appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Thanks and happy brewing!

I got no problem with it. Give it a shot

Make sure you update us on how it comes out

Well I didn't know flaked corn aided in head retention?? Fill me in by all means.
Good luck with it Moshman.

HI. It looks good. let us know how is it ;). I would like to try the result, but I'm so sad I can't do it, i have some health issues and for the moment i can't enjoy bier anymore... always looking for answers on online pharmacy reviews , hope that soon I'll be able to enjoy it again!

Last edited:
I have a very similar recipe in the ferment now...no wheat in mine and Sterling hops for an American Pilsner style. I used S-04 because I had a cake ready in the fermenter. It's on day 8 and basically done and it tastes fantastic.
In your recipe, I'd leave out the orange zest, if it were me, and add a little Amarillo or more Cascade in the dry hop for a nice Blonde Ale. Would be fantastic.
Good luck.

Well I didn't know flaked corn aided in head retention?? Fill me in by all means.
Good luck with it Moshman.
It doesn't - it adds mostly neutral alcohol, cuts body and protein haze. It adds some flavor as well. It doesn't improve head retention.

Reactions: J A
It doesn't - it adds mostly neutral alcohol, cuts body and protein haze. It adds some flavor as well. It doesn't improve head retention.
Cheers for the heads up Nosey I learn something new everyday ;)

The Wheat in your bill is going to give you head retention. With corn and wheat malt, in a way you're playing to 2 different styles.
Corn adjunct is for lighter body. Wheat will leave proteins to help head.
Flaked wheat will keep head and add a little mouthfeel. Flaked oats will really thicken the mouthfeel. Flaked Barley will do a little of both. Corn and rice provide so much starch compared to their proteins that they almost entirely turn into fermentable sugars and leave thin, crisp beer without much head.

Wheat Malt 3-5% improves head retention and mouth feel at lower levels
Torrefied Wheat up to 10% Adds toasted/biscuity notes, Improves head retention
Flaked Maize up to 10% Neutral flavour in ales, gives subtle corn notes in lighter styles
Flaked Malted Oats 5-10% Adds toasted/biscuity notes, Improves mouth-feel and head retention
Flaked Torrefied Barley up to 10% Gives grainy notes and improves head retention

All good points but I still say brew as is. I like the zest. You can tweak it next time if you want to make changes. I very rarely brew to style. It may start there but I brew for my tastes. If I'm trying something new I'll do 1/2 batches until I get it where I want then move to 5 or 10 gallon batches.

Hey everyone, update time.

I'm not sure where I got the flaked corn helping with head retention but when I went back to research it I found out that you all are right and it wouldn't have helped. I did have the wheat in there so I still think it'll be good and I decided to cut the flaked corn out.

I brewed it on Feb. 26th so it's been in the primary for a little over a week. I may have mashed a little hot around 156 and I actually went over my OG. I ended up at 1.060 and after a week in the primary, the sample I took yesterday was 1.018. The beer has a really great flavor and I'm happy I kept the zest in the recipe. I'd like the FG to drop a little bit more but I'm not sure it will. I'll check it again next weekend and think about bottling it. I don't think a secondary will be necessary with this one but what are your thought?

Thanks for all the great posts!

It depends on the yeast and what its average attenuation is there Moshman most are around 75-80% attenuation. What temperature have you got it at the moment you could try and warm it up just a little bit to help them yeast Finnish off the job. But give it another week and check. Sounds like a winner cheers.

With the higher mash temp it will probably finish higher but your right you may get a few more points.

What yeast are you using? Depending on strain, it'll benefit from rousing the yeast to restart the fermentation and gain a few points. Depending on your pitch, you might try making a small starter and repitching to see if yeast colony health is slowing things down.

Your 156 mash temp will probably yield a fairly high FG, but a lot of that should be dextrine that won't necessarily register as a sweet flavor. Most likely you'll have some residual though, and with your orange zest and your Vienna adding malty sweetness on top of residual, you may have something that seems a little "fruit juicy" than you'd prefer. It'll be good and drinkable.

I used Nottingham yeast and had really strong activity the first 3 days. I've got it at about 64 degrees right now, the hottest it got during the fermentation was 68 and I haven't had any temp swings to stress the yeast out. I think I mashed too hot and got some more dextrin than I meant to.

It still taste good and isn't even carbonated yet. I think I'll manage to drink it just fine! =)

English yeasts can get a little sluggish after the initial feeding frenzy. I'd try rousing it and leaving it a couple of days. At this point just keep it up at it's high temperature range. If you had it at 68 and then it dropped to 64, that's enough to slow it down.
Rouse it, raise it, check it later. If it goes down, leave it. If it's still the same, It's not likely to go anywhere. I'd be a little careful bottling, though. If there is residual, the addition of new sugar will kick fermentation into gear and it may overcarb.

I reread your post. If it's only been a week I would wait. I generally let fermentation go for three weeks before I even bother to check. I'm of the brew it and forget it camp.

Back