Passion fruit beer.

hey quick question mate do you know if the home brew store in Sale do co2 bottle swap. The one in Traralgon don't anymore and I have a stout that will be ready to keg this week end.

Mate last time I was in Sale it was at their Local Show years ago I'm thinking probably 8 years was visiting some of the missus family in that little town near by called Mafra :). Last time I was near Traralgon I was camped up the morewell river on that beautiful strizleki ranges lovely country and brings back fond memories. Sorry mate I'm up in Queensland but give em a call and they'll help you out for sure. Cheers

lol sorry my bad saw Golden beach and thought local my bad lol

Yea I should probably put Qld on the location thing. Golden beach south east Queensland Caloundra is the more well known place. Heaps of Victorians head up here to retire here.

Ok it's 36 hours post pitch and gravity is reading 1.008 wow:eek::D. I thought I was going to pitch in the passion fruit day 3 or 4 once fermentation was settling down but nope in she went this arvo. I pasteurised the passion fruit with a little water in thermomix on 75c for half an hour. I gave the fermentor a good swirl once the passionfruit was in and I'm happy to say she's off bubbling again probably 3 bubbles a second.

I tasted the test sample and my tongue was lit up with spicy pepper:rolleyes: definitely a lot going on in this brew:). I'm definitely in new territory here heck I just went from brewing an attempt at a clean crisp Pilsner and now it seems I've gone full circle and its a whole different ball game.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Hay what is everyone's thoughts on this passionfruit should I rack the wort off this or just leave it as is till I cold crash and keg her up?

Ok you asked... You should secondary and consider some kind of a sediment catch to keep the fruit pulp out. Then chill and fine. Then keg.

So rack wort/beer off passionfruit and trub into secondary for next week then cold crash and transfer to keg. I think that's the reasonable thing to do. Cheers head first will do ;).

Checked in on the gravity today it 1.004 I tasted the test tube and it was plenty funky enough to scare me a bit into thinking maybe I've gone too far with the passionfruit addition. I had a peep under the lid to check in on things in there and half the passionfruit is floating on top and it seems like the other half is on the trub at the bottom as I got a few seeds in my test tube.

I'm definitely racking tomorrow into another fermentor and I'm going to filter it through a fine mesh screen I'll soak that in cleaner tonight and sanitize tomorrow.

I don't know peeps she's got me worried now cross your fingers for me please :rolleyes:.

So racked that passionfruit this arvo and thought I'd post a pick of a look inside fermentor of all the passionfruit floaties at the top. It all looks pretty clean to me no mould growth. The reading was 1.000 neat ! Wow :eek:. So should I cold crash this now do you think or leave it sit in secondary for a few day then cold crash?? I used the fine mesh bag tied to the end oF my transfer hose it worked a treat not one pip ended up in secondary champion advise there headfirst will put that one in my Brewers tool belt for next time:)

The test tube is definitely tart especially on the tongue it makes it feel tingly there is some hot alcohol there too and peppery. I don't think this one is going to be an easy drinking beer

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 258
Sounds like you have some fusel alcohol there. Hot solventy like? Its not to good for you and can give you headaches. Comes from to warm of fermentation. From what I've read and experienced they will eventually change over to the good stuff. It can take a little while though. Unless you are in a big rush for the container I would let it set a couple of weeks or bottle it. At over 6% you won't go through it very fast anyway.;)

Last edited:
Ok thought if I'd check in on this passion fruit saison thread all. So I threw some in a pet bottle and carbed it up over the weekend went,round to a metes house to help clean up his yard to rent out worked our guts out. Poured him and myself a glass of this brew and he said it's definitely fruity and he liked it said its definitely drinkable. I said its not your normal type conventional larger brew it's a little different I said you can taste the peppery spice and twangy tartness yep yep. Yea I think I'll be throwing this one in a keg its definitely heaps drinkable I'm going to fin it outwits some gelatin and go frome there. So great news not a right off I'm thinking now on doing a raspberry or and blueberry saison with a wheat based brew:cool:.

So slapped together a recipe this morning when I'm no so wasted like last night lol:p.
Can get packets of organic frozen berries here at local shop either blueberry, raspberrys, or mixed berries all in 450g bags. I'm thinking I'll throw one of these in the thermomix and add it to fermentor once primary is done same as with my passionfruit saison. I think the tartness from the yeast fermenting out most the sugars will go great with the berries.unsure on the ratio of Pilsner to wheat in this recipe I was thinking 60/40 but upped the Pilsner just a tad more and threw in a tiny bit of caramel malt for just a touch of sweetness. What do youse think?? Going to stick with the late additiion soft Galaxy to to,with the fruity theme :).
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/460566/berry-saison

I have had better luck using Canadian honey malt if you can get it, to hold a touch of sweetness.
It helps to bring out the fruit flavor.
.1kg in 21 L should do it. Doesn't take much.

I have had better luck using Canadian honey malt if you can get it, to hold a touch of sweetness.
It helps to bring out the fruit flavor.
.1kg in 21 L should do it. Doesn't take much.
Na the local homebrew store here doesn't stock this. I can use some Munich? Or stick with the caramel malt (that's some of my,light home roasted malt BTW)

Na the local homebrew store here doesn't stock this. I can use some Munich? Or stick with the caramel malt (that's some of my,light home roasted malt BTW)
The caramel malt will work. The toasty flavor will probably mostly get lost in the fruit and funk but it should leave some malt sweetness.

If you ever try it again here's what I'd do for a passionfruit Saison:
Use pils malt, 2-5% oats, 2% flaked barley and mash med-high at 154. I'd want a clean malt bill to showcase the fruit. No caramels or dark sugars. I'd aim for 1.050 like you did. Ferment from 68-72. I'd forget the typical temp rise for Belgians unless I wanted to push the phenolics. Only add about 20 IBUs (just like you) of bittering hops and add 15g of aroma hops at flame out, probably something from New Zealand or Australia. Your choice. For me, the point of a beer with passionfruit is passionfruit! Pick a saison strain you like. I like WLP566 or even a straight up WLP650 (Brett). Ferment the fruit in secondary (no rinds). The tartness and bitterness from the passionfruit will make up for the low bitterness in mouth feel! You are right on the money. The fruit will also dilute the beer with water from the fruit. You can sterilize in an immersion cooker if you need (you had mold). Yeah, I'd split the batch in half and pitch one half with Brett and the other with a Saison strain. Let the Brett sit in secordary for 4 months at the least. But I think it sounds like you did a great job. I'd go at least 0.5kg passion fruit per 4L. If I had less fruit I'd drop much more of the aroma hops out of the equation. Sounds like you knew exactly what to do. CHEERS!

If you ever try it again here's what I'd do for a passionfruit Saison:
Use pils malt, 2-5% oats, 2% flaked barley and mash med-high at 154. I'd want a clean malt bill to showcase the fruit. No caramels or dark sugars. I'd aim for 1.050 like you did. Ferment from 68-72. I'd forget the typical temp rise for Belgians unless I wanted to push the phenolics. Only add about 20 IBUs (just like you) of bittering hops and add 15g of aroma hops at flame out, probably something from New Zealand or Australia. Your choice. For me, the point of a beer with passionfruit is passionfruit! Pick a saison strain you like. I like WLP566 or even a straight up WLP650 (Brett). Ferment the fruit in secondary (no rinds). The tartness and bitterness from the passionfruit will make up for the low bitterness in mouth feel! You are right on the money. The fruit will also dilute the beer with water from the fruit. You can sterilize in an immersion cooker if you need (you had mold). Yeah, I'd split the batch in half and pitch one half with Brett and the other with a Saison strain. Let the Brett sit in secordary for 4 months at the least. But I think it sounds like you did a great job. I'd go at least 0.5kg passion fruit per 4L. If I had less fruit I'd drop much more of the aroma hops out of the equation. Sounds like you knew exactly what to do. CHEERS!
Hey cheers there mr dutra for your informative response. I was putting together my grist for tomorrow's berry saison for tomorrow and thought about them 200g of caramel 40 malt and thought is it even worth it but to late as its mixed in with the rest of the grain so I'm gunna have to run with it. But yea caramel is probably not my friend in a dry tart fruity saison the caramel would clash with the flavours eh? So adding 450g of mixed berries with this next brew once crazy Belgian M27 ale yeast has smashed out the fermentation should I take down my galaxy Lae addition of 19g at 10 min and 20 at zero??

Sounds like you've got a few saison a under your belt mate thanks again for the heads up:p

Oki doki art a chokie I've finally got a pick of this passionfruit saison to post up here. I brewed that berry saison up this morning too it's been 8 hours since yeast pitch and it is already going bonkers. Enjoy:).

Tasting notes smells like passionfruit on the nose with plenty fruity smell. Taste wise spicey full bodied with a tart dry Finnish. Definitely happy with the way this brew turned out looking forward to this next saison now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 207
So it's four days post pitch gravity is 1.000 :eek: added mixed berries yesterday added 1/2 cub dextrose to get yeast kicking again gravity was 1.004 yesterday check this arvo1.000 temperature has been a steady 28c all along. Going to let this sit till weekend and check again then cold crash rack to secondary for a few then keg her up.

Well Im learning is all I can say, learning how much berries to toss at this saison recipe clearly not enough :rolleyes:.
As you'll see in the picture the brilliant berry red/purple brew I was hoping for turned into a more murky orange coloured brew lol :p. It tastes much like the last one even though I used a lighter base and threw different fruit at ito_O. It just shows that the yeast are probably the biggest player in the saison. One other thing I know I'll do differently next time is use different hop that Galaxy is overpowering my subtle berry taste in this brew its there but its overshadowed by the bold fruity Galaxy flavour of tropical passion fruit. When I burp I can taste berry if that's any consolation haha.
So to anyone crazy enough to follow in my footsteps down this fruity saison path I added 500g of mixed berries to this brew I. Thinking triple it to let's say 2kg!

I'm sure the grist was light enough but definitely no caramel malts and I'll hit it with some sazz or perle or Spalt for,that spice instead of fruit. You want the fruit to only come frome the berries heck even just bitter it and leave the spice to the yeast I think;).

It is only a mistake if you do it again. We live and learn. This brew is a fine drink though in all regards first draught from the keg, just not what I was hoping for. Cheers all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 171

Back