Vanilla cream ale for drinking this summer!

Why the protein rest? If using modified malts the protein rest is unnecessary. Its also a pain in the ass. Unless you are using a lot of unmodified malts, then do your self a favor and skip it. The purpose is to break up proteins in unmodified malts or unmalted grains. In fully modified malt the protein rest will actually reduce body and head retention. Also too long of a protein rest will result in the same "thin" beer.

Read this section of "How To Brew"

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-4.html

In fact if you haven't already, you should read the whole book cover to cover.

If you still want to step mash in a BIAB setup be sure to keep the bag off the heat source (direct fire or electric element) as the bag will burn through. Ask me how I know. Or do a decoction to raise the temperatures. This can be dificult because if you don't get the decoction boiled and back in the mash , and the temperature raised in time, the protein rest will go long.
A lot of extra work and very little return for a "simple summer lawnmower beer".

From what I have managed to research is that flaked grains can benefit from a protein rest. Even though the starches in flaked grains have been modified the proteins haven't really been broken up. The poor head retention problem is something I try to avoid by only doing a protein rest on the flaked grains and a pound of the base malt (added for the enzymes), thus not breaking up the proteins in the majority of the malt. I do agree it might be over the top for a "lawnmower beer" but I personally try improve on all of my brews, and hey why not experiment to see what works when you have the chance.

chessking said:
I keep the bag off the heat source (direct fire or electric element) as the bag will burn through. Ask me how I know.

I have found that the false bottom found in most steamer pots work well to prevent this. My new kettle actually has one that sets 2 inches off the bottom, which I might end up lowering.

I think i will take baby steps and keep it simple for my first BIAB, once i have wert the rest will be business as usual (where i usually screw something up) :eek:

Conservidave, how did this brew turn out for you?

Foster82 said:
Conservidave, how did this brew turn out for you?

Its been in the bottle for two weeks now so ill find out real soon. Decided to skip the BIAB and just go
with my usual batch sparge which went very well. 1.061 OG and finished at 1.004. I'll report back in a few
days with my initial impressions.

Dave,

First impression is that this beer is still a little green. it has a very thin body, a residual sweetness on the back of the tongue and high carbonation, no sign of the vanilla.

One thing I noticed is that several of the bottles have a krausen ring between the cap and top of the beer, some bottles have the usual yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle and others don't.....? One of the bottles I opened broke off at the neck with the cap still intact.

I am definitely giving it another week or two to condition after witch i'm sure it'll be consumed!

Dave.

Opinions on the PM version I created of this recipe?
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Vanilla Cream Ale

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.023
Efficiency: 65% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 4.71%
IBU (tinseth): 17.01
SRM (morey): 2.95

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (29.4%)
1.75 lb - Flaked Corn (20.6%)
0.75 lb - Flaked Rice (8.8%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.9%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition) (35.3%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Williamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.01

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6.8 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 165 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 6.8 qt, teabag

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - vanilla bean, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 64 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2013-09-06 22:43 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-09-06 20:23 UTC

How about "Rock your Garter?" Sounds like good stuff!

Recipe looks good to me.

Ending kettle volume of 5.25 gallons - are you shooting for a keg? That doesn't leave a lot of room for trub losses, and losses in the fermentor. I do a batch size of 6 gallons (ending kettle) to fill a 5 gallon keg with finished beer.

No keg. wanted to end with 5 in fermentor, and 4.5 ish at bottling.

First partial mash recipe/ experience, so any guidance there would be appreciated! :)

First partial mash, congrats!!

Maybe set efficiency slightly lower. Calibrate thermometer beforehand. Double check equipment profile settings.

Good luck!!

I will change efficiency to like 55 when I actually brew it, but I did want to design it as a 65% so I could see what it would be if I get beginners luck! :lol:

I figured I would find a very simple easy beer to do as my first PM. Now it is a waiting game for my other 2 batches to finish.

Back