Missed my OG by 20 points!

Gorm

Trial Member
Reaction score
Trying to make a seriously bitter beer. I found the Sneezy Rat (extract) recipe on Brewers Friend. I brewed it up and was curious about the lack of grains/fermentables but, continued as per the recipe below:
Method: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Fermentables:
6 lbs LME Light
1.5 lbs LME Amber

Hops:
3 oz El Dorado, Pellet, 60 minutes
0.5 oz citra, Pellet, 60 minutes
0.5 oz mosaic, Pellet, 45 minutes
0.5 oz citra, Pellet, 45 minutes
1.0 oz citra, Pellet, 30 minutes
1.0 oz citra, Pellet, 9 minutes
1 oz citra, Pellet, 2 minutes

Dry Hop:
1.0 oz mosaic, Pellet, 6 Days
OG target:
1.058 FG: 1.012 ABV: 6.09% IBU (tinseth): 301.26 SRM: 6.56

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/441685/sneezy-rat

The whole process went just fine no problems until I took my OG reading - 1.038 a full 20 points difference. The recipe mentions "Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)" but lists no steeping grains. Never the less, this is the recipe. Was I just stupid in thinking I could achieve that high of a OG without extra fermentables?
Is the appropriate correction to find some grains, steep them and throw them in? If so, any suggestions on grain type?
Thanks for any input.

Refractometer or hydrometer?

If refractometer did you cool the wort before taking the reading?

I'm new to brewing, so no offense intended, it was just the first thing that came to my mind.

I think it may also have something to do with your partial extract efficiency maybe lower than what you've got the efficiency set at but I saw it was at 35%.

How about your water volume if you added extra water that could dilute your target gravity some.

Have you mixed it up properly ? LME likes hot water to dissolve it properly or just sits as gunk on the bottom , yeast still find it but throws silly numbers

Refractometer or hydrometer?

If refractometer did you cool the wort before taking the reading?

I'm new to brewing, so no offense intended, it was just the first thing that came to my mind.
I'm using a hydrometer. Wort was approx. 60 F as well.

If you can shake it like you hate it to ensure its mixed up properly and aerate the wort then take another reading (assuming you've not pitched yeast already )

I think it may also have something to do with your partial extract efficiency maybe lower than what you've got the efficiency set at but I saw it was at 35%.

How about your water volume if you added extra water that could dilute your target gravity some.
Nope. No extra water. Still, do you think there is enough fermentables in this recipe to achieve much higher gravity? I just think its thin on material. Or do you agree (within the recipe) it should hit 1.058?

I get 1.053 when I plugged it in real quick. Our equipment profiles might be a little different, so that might account for the small discrepancy in the calculator.

And to throw me opinion into the ring, what about trub? Did you leave it in the kettle or dump into fermentor? Do you use a bag for hops? Did you give it a squeeze?

Looking back at hops schedule, I bet a ton of wort got soaked into the hops. I'm betting that's part of the problem.

What was the volume into the fermentor?

I don't see why you can't add some DME mixed boiled and cooled in let's say 1 litre of water then add this to fermentor to bring up alcohol percentage to your desired level o_O. I'd take another hydrometer reading then add DME to even it out so to speak;).

I get 1.053 when I plugged it in real quick. Our equipment profiles might be a little different, so that might account for the small discrepancy in the calculator.

And to throw me opinion into the ring, what about trub? Did you leave it in the kettle or dump into fermentor? Do you use a bag for hops? Did you give it a squeeze?
Everything from the boil went into the fermenter. I didn't squeeze the bags but I let them drain off into a collector and put that in as well. Looking at jmcnamara's response too, there was a lot of wort soaked up. It was quite low during the boil.
If that's the problem, are there any suggestions? Like I said before, should I get some grains, steep and add them? Any suggestions on what type would keep or come close to the integrity of the recipe?
Thanks for all your feedback :)

I don't see why you can't add some DME mixed boiled and cooled in let's say 1 litre of water then add this to fermentor to bring up alcohol percentage to your desired level o_O. I'd take another hydrometer reading then add DME to even it out so to speak;).
DME!!! Duh, of course! Your a beer-saver Trialben :) I'll cook some up!
Thank you so much.

No way the hops absorbed 30+% of your sugars , the PPG of extracts is pretty consistent so only extra volume , incorrect reading or undissolved goo can be the culprit .

Strongly suggest a good mix up and another reading

Reactions: J A
What was your boil volume by the way ?
I must confess, I didn't measure it...never had the need to before.
You know, if you guys keep teaching me these things I won't be able to use my excuse of being a newbie anymore. But you are right, it was very low.
Thanks again :)

You'll be fine in this brew at those IBUs but for future brews you want a boil gravity of about 1.040.

so whether you do a larger boil or only add enough extract to bring gravity to that level to ensure you get optimal usage of your hops .

Basically the wort can only hold so much and higher gravity means more dissoved sugars so less room for hop oils
Image10.gif

You'll be fine in this brew at those IBUs but for future brews you want a boil gravity of about 1.040.

so whether you do a larger boil or only add enough extract to bring gravity to that level to ensure you get optimal usage of your hops .

Basically the wort can only hold so much and higher gravity means more dissoved sugars so less room for hop oils

Thank you very much for the info Mr.Pirate. I was not aware of the relationship balance between hop oils and sugars in the wort. I would like to better understand this chart and its information. Is there a link you could share?
Many thanks,

Back