Nailed it

I pick it up out of the water and let it drain a bit. Then I hold up my old 6.5 gallon fermenter plastic bucket over the pot, and put the bag full of grains in it. (I have an upside down colander serving as a false bottom in it.) More often than not, I can make the move without losing a drop.

That's pretty much exactly what I do too. Except I use a bottling bucket. The spigot is nice to have there. If the wife is available she squeezes the bag a bit as I hold it

But you're right, the fermenter bucket is a bit wider

Nice. How are you getting the bag out? Do you lift it out by hand or do you have something to lift it out?
I used to just lift it out and put it into a spigoted bucket for sparging through. it's not heavy for a batch that size. Most of my recipes are 9-12 lbs, so the wet bag doesn't way more than 20 lbs.
Now I don't have to lift it at all. I still use a bag, but it's in a false-bottomed brewpot with a ball valve and I'm doing recirculating mash and then switching to heated sparge water through the pump after mash-out.

I hoist using a pulley then sparge into brew pot through hoisted grain bag squeeze crap outta it and lower it into massive bowl where I upend the grain into to feed to my chookies.

I hoist using a pulley then sparge into brew pot through hoisted grain bag squeeze crap outta it and lower it into massive bowl where I upend the grain into to feed to my chookies.

on a side note, i'm never sure what's slang and what's just messed up auto-correct with you aussies! :confused:

the chookies. luckily, from another thread i knew he keeps chickens. i do like to see "Finnish" in some responses too, but im sure that's the autocorrect

Ah you see English isn't my preferred language. Fair dinkum dinky Di Aussie is :D.

Hay I like to keep you guessing Jmcnamara!

Yea you'll have to bring this with you when ya come visit that way you'll know what we're on about.

To be truthful though I think a lot of the Aussie lingo stated in that throw together column aren't all to common especially around the city's of Australia. Yes out in the country where I was brought up yep but as in most countries I'm sure the language gradually changes from one generation to the next.

I remember when my grandad would come visit he would use words like "cop that young Harry" whilst pulling on me cheak :)

City to city varies , I'm in South Australia and we sound more English for the most part
We do have a class called "Bogans " who generally use very poor grammar , often refuse to work and make the rest of us look bad
Google "cronulla race riots " for a stellar example of them

That's what makes the world a great place we all speak different we look different probably smell different we like different food and most races love a bubbly golden/Amber beverage to wash it down with:).

Even within Australia I get pulled up constantly on saying " AYE" after every sentence that's a county Queensland thing and a kiwi thing. So many people on the sunny coast think I'm KIWI:eek: haha but they haven't ventured west of the coastline or they would know it's a Queensland thing. Victorians are usually quick to point the aye out.

Whereas Mark down south Australia well they speak differently again :p a race unto themselves lol.

I grew up in Western Kentucky. My wife is a Texan. She says she needs me to translate when we visit my parents.

Congrats,
What's next up?
Brewing a 2.5-3 gallon batch of American Brown Ale. I call it "Bringer of Jollity." It's an extract brew with dark and maris otter malt and coffee and 80L crystal malt for steeping. Hops are Hallertau and Spalt (including dry hopping spalt after 7 days). I'll be brewing this sometime this week.

Brewing a 2.5-3 gallon batch of American Brown Ale. I call it "Bringer of Jollity." It's an extract brew with dark and maris otter malt and coffee and 80L crystal malt for steeping. Hops are Hallertau and Spalt (including dry hopping spalt after 7 days). I'll be brewing this sometime this week.
I saw the recipe on another thread. Looks solid. Mind your fermentation temps and you should get a good beer!

Hmm mm all this 1gal,2 1/2 gal,5 gal talk and I'm thinkin 30 gallon is about right! I did 2 12 gal batches last wknd and it took too long! Lol

Back