What are you drinking right now?

Not to continue the derailment of the the thread, but...
I grew up in the NE US where winter is winter (snow, cold, etc, etc), but not too bad, so I grew enjoying what winter had to offer (skiing, skating, sledding, ice fishing, and so on)...
...then I spent 3.5 months in Winter Park, CO in the dead of winter...and left never wanting to see snow again! The skiing was amazing, but after that long of up to my eyeballs in snow, I'd had enough.
"Winter" in Christchuch, NZ for the 4 years I was there, on the other hand, was just about perfect for me. I could rock climb right through the winter, it almost never snowed, and if I really wanted to ski, I just had to head an hour inland. :D
Best of all worlds? I wouldn't want to live up here either. Too much snow! But having this in the back yard is wonderful in all seasons except "mud."

You are skiing and I am plowing snow.I gotta make some changes. Just racked into secondary a 12.5% barley wine that would take the chill out of your bones. I think when finished this will shine in a warm glass.

But having this in the back yard is wonderful in all seasons except "mud."
Funny how we grow up learning the 4 seasons, "spring, summer, fall, winter", where in places with proper amounts of snow in the winter there are actually "mud, summer, fall, winter".
Spring I have only really had the privilege of learning here in Germany. NZ never got cold enough to have a proper "winter" vs "spring" and anywhere else I have ever lived has always had "winter" and "mud".

Kinda makes me starting thinking about what would be an appropriate brew for mud season...
A Maibock is light in color and good for spring. Maybe something Maibock-ish, but darker!?

it doesn't snow here in winter it freezes, so ice wind cold, did I tell you I hate winter lol

Move to the tropics ! We only had 2 seasons , Wet and Dry ....shorts all year round and you can swim in the middle of winter but only in a pool or creek since ocean was full of salt water crocs , deadly jelly fish , sea snakes and a million other things that'll kill you

I had the same thing in south Texas just not crocs but add scorpions, fire ants, rattle snakes and wild boar
drinking a Belgian white wheat

Home from the hill enjoying a German style "pale ale", noble hopped and lagered.

Just a quite Monday afternoon lager in memory of a beautiful soul who passed away recently may she rest in peace.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 149
Raising a Pils for ya TB. Sorry for your loss.

Never drink good home brew when your really thirsty, I slammed 4 in an hour had a big meat and potatoes meal then passed out for 3 hours, wow where was that truck that just ran over me :confused:

I am drinking the much debated CaraPils Pilsner and, brothers and sisters, I have to tell you its definitely a Pilsner lager. Creamy, malty, bright, and bubbly...this one is a definite rebrew. I'm brew day + 61 days with this one and, even despite the freezing and repitching, this one is a winner. Tastes amazing, even if it is a bit off style with ABV.

Cheers! :)

(Photo right after picnic tap pour. Big creamy malty head. Mmmmm)

Attachments

• 20170207_191719-1209x1612.jpg
    20170207_191719-1209x1612.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 134
Nicely done wood house! I think the lighter beer styles are hard to master such delicate brews that they are but they are just beautifully rewarding when you get them right. Cheers!

I bought a picnic tap a while ago for Christmas party I found it was pouring crazy head so I attached a length of clear hose on the end of the spout about 4 inches worth this way when I pour I can dunk the hose under the beer as it pours therefore reducing head. Also I found when I pour to press the lever all the way down if only a bit depressed it will create foaming. My 2c anyhow.

Also I found when I pour to press the lever all the way down if only a bit depressed it will create foaming. My 2c anyhow.
That's 100% true, Trialben. I start with the lever fully pressed and then half press it at the top for head....this one is creamy though and no matter what I do I get that much head in the pour. It settles down after a minute though. The picnic spout is good but no replacement for a true taphead.

Sounds like a well crafted Pilsner then wood house. If you have the coin an intertap won't let you down consistent no dribble interchangeable tap fonts and it doesn't stick like forward sealing taps. I've got a tap at the moment that is stuck shut after only a week of no use! Cheers

Sounds like a well crafted Pilsner then wood house. If you have the coin an intertap won't let you down consistent no dribble interchangeable tap fonts and it doesn't stick like forward sealing taps. I've got a tap at the moment that is stuck shut after only a week of no use! Cheers
Im planning on converting the freezer I lager in to a 2 tap keezer. I have seen those Intertaps...they're pretty slick. I had looked at Perlicks as well. Intertap is a bit cheaper but I think they both pour equally as well.

When I do build my Keezer this summer I'll post pics, etc and let you know what taps I go with.

Cheers mate.

Excellent news on your beer a light beer is all about the water and fermentation temps, if you brewed a winner, your lucky most people cant come even close, I happen to have lager water right out of my filter so I'm blessed brewing one up next ;)

Cracked open my Lemon Drop SMASH last night and learned a valuable lesson, reinforced by a Mandarina Pale Ale I had at the Dry Dock Brewery on Monday: With hops, less is often more. The Mandarina Pale Ale was lightly hopped and the tangerine flavor shone through. My SMASH was "more aggressively" hopped so the lemon drop flavor was lost. Returning to my mantra of restraint in five.... four....

I'm sure I'm not the only brewer here who has an accumulation of unknown bottles of beer hidden away in the dark recesses of their shed brewery. I recently transferred some of these known and unknown bottles to my keezer where I left them to chill and lager some.

The beer I hold in my hand is undoubtedly my clearest beer thus far and I poured it from a bottle! It's an old Kolsch I brewed up,probably 6 months ago that was a little rough round the edges and I've just let sit. She still is rough I think it's oxidation and probably some poor sanitation but it tastes drinkable.
there ya go my clearest brew a throw back from the past :).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 145
@Head First alrighty me matey I'm thinking my Pilsner is ready to show there head first. I remember back about a month ago I said we should do a sort or half global comparison remember dunny water spins backwards here ha ha. I've been tasting my pils for the perfect moment and I'm thinking now is a good time to present her to you head first for a comparison of sorts.

My bias tasting notes. Nose malty once freely poured a slight hop aroma. Smells malty on the nose and floral sorta sweet smelling.

Tate in the mouth full sweet a little tart but definitely not crisp I'd say crisp ness is lacking :oops: but it is light on the tongue and leaves you wanting more. Lastly a bit of back of the throut bitterness not overweening but there. It did have some spice at first but has faded.

A drinkable brew I will draw from this keg for most out of my line up ATM but I can brew better.

Compared to my wlp 090 pils (sandiego super yeast) I think that brew was drier this one is malty and a tiny bit sweet for yeast comparison. Cheers I'll go get another glass anyone else up for a top up;)!

Conclusion mash lower next time like 61c do two step mash low then high then mash out.
Let yeast attenuate longer, don't keg so soon.
Maybe a little less Munich maybe half at 250g instead of 500g.

Cheers everyone.
I look forward to your critique and brew photo head first and everyone :D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Back