Greetings from East-Central Texas

Howdy, StarterHops.

Is "What's Brewin?" just the forum equivalent of a "howdy, or is that a literal question?

At the moment, I have five things in secondary. My standard Irish red (keg is almost empty), a new Scottish ale from a DeFalco recipe, a new English dark mild ale from an Austin Homebrew recipe, a Pinot Noir from a Vinter's kit, and a home-made pear wine (which is not fermenting like I would prefer and currently has an ABV of only about 3.5% after two weeks).

The pear tastes good and is bubbly (still fermenting at a rate of about one bubble per 10 seconds)), but I think that I need to pitch more yeast at it. Problem: I am not paying $15 to ship a 99-cent purchase. I will pick some up in Austin this weekend, LoL.

Last edited:
Nice. With your Scottish Ale, have you ever tried it with a lager yeast? I'm on the fence about it with an upcoming brew. Either I'll use 34/70 or US05 depending on my mood when the day arrives.

Starter, I've not mixed yeast styles in the past, but I am thinking about doing it with a batch of Cream Ale that is in the planning stages.

Thanks Mark. The internet is so cool. A guy in Australia is welcoming me to a forum based less than 100 miles from my house.

What are ya talking about the forum is everywhere man lol Gday from another Aussie were slowly invading this site :D. Sounds like you have a go at fermenting anything wine or beer good stuff.

Wow, we're being invaded by Australia! I bet it's mostly because the Aussies are smart enough to know where to find good beer............................:)

I'm from the UP of Michigan myself (hence the Yooper name), but live in S. Texas during the coldest part of the year. So, as a Winter Texan, I wanted to say "Howdy" so you don't feel so outnumbered by Aussies!

Question for you Aussies. Half a lifetime ago, I spent six weeks diving the GBR. I did not yet know much about beer, but I drank a fair amount of Castlemaine XXXX. Is it still around and is it considered to be any good?

At the time, the craft brew scene had not yet taken hold here in the States, so there was nothing good here, and it tasted so much better than the swill sold by Busch/Miller/Coors that I missed it terribly for several years.

XXXX is still very popular in Queensland , hasn't gotten any better but they now make a gold, summer lager and a pale ale as well There is a developing craft beer market here , mostly US styled APA /IPA that rival some of your best but with an Aussie twist

Hello Hank!
My husband is from EC TX. His hometown was dry until a year or so ago...

Christie, my home town is full of Czechs. No chance that it was ever going to be dry. When I was a kid, we had liquor stores at the county line on every major highway, so our neighbors did not have to drive too far in order to make their purchases!

Last edited:
Yea hopefully when people come to Australia they don't remember XXXX when thinking back on favourite beers they've had :). There is beer and there is XXXX the two probably shouldn't be mentioned together in the same sentence lol no offence intended :rolleyes:.

Back