MASH EFFICEINCY

Brewer #85134

Trial Member
Reaction score
I AM CURRENTLY GETTING ABOUT 63% MASH EFFICIENCY AND IM LOOKING TO FIND WAYS TO IMPROVE THAT I use a 10 gl cooler with a bazooka tube. usually add in 180 degree water to get a mash temp near 152 stir a few times during mashing and mash for 60 mins then sparge two or thee times with 170 degree water. gratful for any comments

Hows your water and are you checking for conversion?
How is the crush?

I haven't checked for conversion and I use distilled water. the crush is from the homebrew store so I assume its good.

You sure about the 180 deg getting you 152. That seems hot. My strike temp is a good 10 deg less. About 170 or under. Are you keeping the grains in the fridge?

You sure about the 180 deg getting you 152. That seems hot. My strike temp is a good 10 deg less. About 170 or under. Are you keeping the grains in the fridge?
+1!
I strike w/ 22l. of H2O @ 165F on 6.2kg. of grain to get a mash temp of 152F.
Brew Cat's other question about "straight distilled" is also very relevant! Besides not necessarily tasting particularly good (depending on style), straight distilled will throw off you pH by quite a bit...

EDIT: I should add that I mash in a pre-heated vessel, so only the grain is the cooling component.

I adjust the water to hit the preset profiles on the site, as far as water temp I do keep my grains in the fridge

What ever works to hit your desired strike temp not much matters in between.

you shouldn't be using distiled water for all grain, you need calcium bigtime

I adjust the water to hit the preset profiles on the site, as far as water temp I do keep my grains in the fridge
that would explain it. I don't refrigerate my grain so im starting with 70 deg grain. You could try doing a 50/50 mix of water spring/distilled

if your don't have calcium in your water thats the problem, you can add 2 tablespoons of yeast nutrient and it will help, another way is to add Calcium chloride to the mash

Try an iodine test , a drop in a small sample will tell you very quickly if there's unconverted startches in the mash .
Is your efficiency at least consistent ?
Mine started low but gradually got higher .
Mash pH and water chemistry is a deeper subject to delve into but starting with pure distilled water is great as long as you add back the salts needed .
most tap water is OK if you dilute it a little with distilled if hard or add salts if soft

have a look for a water profile from your city , I'm Australia and there's a water profile for my city already on the site

I do add salts back I add cacl, Epsom, some baking soda etc to usually hit one of the balanced profiles here on the site. I am usually consistent with my percentages. I am wondering if I sparge to quickly? I am going to try and drain the water slowly next time (wendesday-brew day) ill see if it gets better

crush your grain fine, add yeast nutrient if fly sparging do it very slow a trickle, lasting 30 to 60 minutes , if batch sparging try stirring settling then drain add more water stir settle then drain

Back