HellaNutella Milk Stout

It turns out that lactose is not a fermentable sugar. It increases the OG, and the FG proportionally, since the yeast can't digest it. Our latest release addressed that in the recipe editor, so you might go back and edit the recipe and see what the FG says. Maltodextrin is the other sugar that has that property.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the addition of lactose to change anything. I've read some people referring to it as unfermentable while others have referred to it as "partially-fermentable", but either way, I added it for body and mouthfeel only.

My daughter seems to have a refined sense of smell; she smelled the sample earlier and said she could smell chocolate. Of course, there have been no chocolate additions yet, so what she was getting was solely from the malts. Good nose!

Just wondering if you have been correcting the gravities back to 68....(i think) temperature differences may
be throwing you off a bit. FWIW, i always check gravity before i bottle, and i nearly always see it drop a few points from where they were out of the fermenter. Im with ya on the secondary thing!

Strangely enough, my hydrometer is supposedly calibrated to 60º... Ehh, it's all relative. It's beer!

Three weeks in, and I've put it in secondary at 1.022. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 904
Nah, that's our fireplace... What I would give for a good old Midwest basement with a floor drain and laundry sink, though.

Hell, nothing wrong with brewing in a real cave, either. Especially if you're making a lager!

Finally bottled on Sunday... Man, that hazelnut extract is some strong stuff. I hope it settles down after a couple of months.

Oh yeah, did I mention how much I hate bottling?

Attachments

• IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 831
"Sweet" thread.

Would love to taste this monster.

BTW - your photos have convinced me to upgrade my hydrometer. Which one is that?

Krimbos said:
"Sweet" thread.
Would love to taste this monster.

i feel a bit of personnel attachment to this brew having witnessed the entire process in color. i can
tast it now, little bottles of liquid gold. Nice job!

I think it will be more of a sweet crude, actually... The hazelnut extract was pretty strong at bottling, but I've read that it will mellow out after conditioning.

Krimbos, my hydrometer is just a generic .99—1.117 SG/BRIX/Potential ABV model that came with the kit I got at Austin Homebrew about 6 years ago. Nothing special, really.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179 ... -and-winem Seems a little much for "hobbyist" homebrewers, but I'm sure those guys heading toward the pro category might appreciate it.

Cracked the first bottle today, one month after bottling. As expected, the hazelnut extract is just way too dominant to make it "drinkable" at this point. I'll try another tester at two months to see where it's at, but right now drinking any more of it would just be wasteful. Still, pretty solid. It'll be much better when things have matured and calmed down a bit.

Attachments

• 166787_10151531893690813_1213170209_n.jpg
    166787_10151531893690813_1213170209_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 723
Beautiful creamy head on that beer! Hope it mellows out sooner than later!

Back