thermometer broke

Won't the glass just float to bottom with a good week long cold crash. I broke mine into the mash bag so wasn't too concerned about glass. Even so I probably would have risked it :rolleyes:o_O

Won't the glass just float to bottom with a good week long cold crash. I broke mine into the mash bag so wasn't too concerned about glass. Even so I probably would have risked it :rolleyes:o_O

The way I see it, the beer would probably cost about $30 total for the batch, which would be lost if I dumped it. I have a $20 insurance deductible for an emergency room visit. The choice is easy. ;)

The way I see it, the beer would probably cost about $30 total for the batch, which would be lost if I dumped it. I have a $20 insurance deductible for an emergency room visit. The choice is easy. ;)
I like your analysis. It's a risk, not a certainty. Let's say the chance of drinking glass is one in ten. The emergency surgery to repair your esophagus costs $3,000. That makes the expected cost of surgery $300 per batch, discounting the possibility of death or other dire consequences. Dump the batch. It's cheaper.

I like your analysis. It's a risk, not a certainty. Let's say the chance of drinking glass is one in ten. The emergency surgery to repair your esophagus costs $3,000. That makes the expected cost of surgery $300 per batch, discounting the possibility of death or other dire consequences. Dump the batch. It's cheaper.

Nah, I have a pretty killer insurance plan. Ymmv of course. :p

It's not just the 10% chance of drinking glass, you'd have to account for. You'd have to calculate the odds that the glass, once consumed, caused injury, in which case variables such as the size and shape of the glass, stomach contents, blah blah blah...

Anywho, I think swallowing a piece of glass that's about the size of a grain of sand isn't going to shred your innards. We're not all comfortable with the same level of risk, so again ymmv.

Killer insurance plan....is that an oxymoron?

I'm sure it will all sink to the bottom in the fermentor anyways:rolleyes:.
Too late now as I am sure you either drank it or dumped it. But maybe a strong magnet tapped to the side of an auto-siphon (assuming the metal is steel and not lead) would catch them?

Back