Plate chiller related off flavor

tmuir

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone!
I'm courrently having an odd situation to which i'm not being able to find an answer.
We have recently change our chilling method from a cooper counterflow chiller to a plate chiller (Duda diesel, 20 large plates). The thing is that since we stated using it our beers started to have ea particular off flavor, slightly salty and with a really strong biter and dry taste.
Any ideas of what could be happening?
Thanks to all!

Did you run any cleaner through it stainless steel cleaner maybe you have some residue from the cleaner still in there

When I clean my system I always bring water to a boil approximately 10 gallons depending on the size of your system I run that through my system for good 15 or 20 minutes then I trained that down to about half that amount and then I had sanitizer to it and run it through there for another 10 or 15 minutes then I empty my system and let it dry

Another thought is have you flushed it backwards in case some things in there that you can't visually see

I havent's run any cleaner through it, just lots of boiling water. Wolud you recomend acidc or caustic? Is there any risk of unpassivate the stainless steel?
I'll try runing ir backwards and see if somethings cames out
Thanks for the answers!

Pro Brewer's Wash (PBW). Then a Starsan rinse.

when I used my plate chiller I ran boiling water through it before every brew backwards and forward, sometimes a good back flush gets more than you think

I third the back flush oh and the toilet flush to keep the missus happy:p.

Back