yeast smacked last week

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
On Tuesday 1/3/2016 I was going to make a yeast starter. Smacked it, let it set for about 1.5 hours then there was a family emergency so I put it into the fridge. Today 1/ 12/2016I want to make to make the starter.
The smack pack has grown in the meantime in the fridge ( not opened). I would guess It would be good just taking it out of the fridge and letting it warm up a bit then making the starter. is there anything bad that could have happened to the yeast sitting this long?

i've never used a smack pack, but it sounds like you basically just woke them up then put them back to sleep, so to speak.

your normal starter should work to wake them back up

ya I guess (just thinking about it) it would be the same as putting a starter in the fridge to help the yeast to settle and taking it out just before you brew.

If it's not opened, it'd have to be okay. Nothing can get in there.

On Tuesday 1/3/2016 I was going to make a yeast starter. Smacked it, let it set for about 1.5 hours then there was a family emergency so I put it into the fridge. Today 1/ 12/2016I want to make to make the starter.
The smack pack has grown in the meantime in the fridge ( not opened). I would guess It would be good just taking it out of the fridge and letting it warm up a bit then making the starter. is there anything bad that could have happened to the yeast sitting this long?
Ditto all above: Make your starter. If you don't get a krauesen on the starter (or fermentation bubbles), then you have something to worry about.

I've never used a wyeast smack pack but I'd definitely give her a spin in a starter first just to gauge yeast viability and to collect some more for another brew:D.

whats in the smak pack is typical yeast then another pack of sugar and nutrients mixed, you smack it and the inner pack breaks, feeds the yeast then the pack swells nothing is ruined if the pack is already swelled, its just the same as adding sugar to a jar of yeast and sealing it in a bag, as long as its sealed its fine

making the yeast starter tonight. I don't think I am going to have any trouble

I've never used a wyeast smack pack but I'd definitely give her a spin in a starter first just to gauge yeast viability and to collect some more for another brew:D.
I smacked one and got no swelling. Took 2 1/2 days after pitching (no starter, not my thing) to see activity. But it worked.

The only time i didn't have one totally swell up was on my Belgium Rye Ale, it worked and it was an awesome brew.

..... granted, my supplier is awesome and is less then 24 hours away via the US Postal Service so they show up cold.

Been over 12 hours in the starter now. Has worked great, lots of nice foamy on top has settled a little now. Will be ready for the second part to bring the yeast to the 400 billon cells needed.

Problem is Joshua is the closest wyeast supplier near me is probably Sydney over 1000km south of me. The local homebrew stores don't stock liquid yeasts because of limited shealve life. So it's dry yeast only for me plus liquid yeast on average is 11$ a pack plus ice packs plus freight so really need to be committed if I'm going to buy one. Now you see why I love getting a few generations outta my yeast it's more affordable ;).

I guess I am in a good position, my LHBS is only 15 minutes away and it is the biggest in Colorado. It has everything. I feel lucky when I hear from brewers so far away from the stores or have to order things.

If you ever do get ahold of some liquid yeast Trialben, it is pretty easy to make large starters with a 5l flask and stir plate and save out 1l for yourself each time, and then reuse that to make your next starter. It stores in fridge well and seems to work thru at least 5 or 6 generations, that is as far as I have gotten to date. I have a nice collection in the keezer.

Problem is Joshua is the closest wyeast supplier near me is probably Sydney over 1000km south of me. The local homebrew stores don't stock liquid yeasts because of limited shealve life. So it's dry yeast only for me plus liquid yeast on average is 11$ a pack plus ice packs plus freight so really need to be committed if I'm going to buy one. Now you see why I love getting a few generations outta my yeast it's more affordable ;).
Brewers choice and craftbrewer both stock Wyeast , both can easily and cheaply send you ice packed same day .

Craft brewer also sell custom grainbills pre milled to order as well I think

Back